• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to Euro 2024

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
In case anyone hadn't realised how good a player Saka is ....

Elsewhere in the team, Maddison's been OK, but the lack of anyone on the left hasn't helped the shape of the team. My guess is that Grealish will replace Maddison or Henderson before long.

Last edited:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Remember in the World Cup when everyone was saying this was a swansong for many great players, well Bale has retired, but Modric, Messi, Cristiano all seem to be around.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Was at the game today. As a serial watcher of ****e footy (as in, attending games) it was a breath of fresh air. Players appear out of nowhere to collect the ball, they play it on the ground - or when they don’t it’s to make ridiculous and accurate long passes.

Jordan Henderson so impressive on the pitch today, thought Maddison had a good game, interesting to see how we were practically playing a back three the bulk of the time with Chilwell pushed up. Kyle Walker the pick of the defenders.

But there was only one MOTM. What a pleasure it was to watch Saka in person. A delight.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Norway dropped points in Georgia as well last night so Scotland have one foot in the tournament already. Just need to not ship 9 points in their remaining 3 games against them and Spain.

The other fun result from the round is Kazakhstan coming back from 2-0 down to beat Denmark 3-2, which really blows open the group that's also got Northern Ireland, Finland and Slovenia sitting on top of it with 2 opening wins. That could have anyone qualify.

Molehill

International Captain
I'm pretty sure we've got a backdoor route in via the Nations League as well if we blow it.
Beat Norway at home and it's as good as done anyway.

What a weird Spanish line up though. Whilst Scotland are clearly an improving side, Spain and going rapidly in the opposite direction.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Rodri, a player who seemed hell bent on injuring Arsenal players during this break, whining about how Scotland played football is quite funny.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I feel like 'they time wasted their way to a win, boo!' is just something players/fans on bigger teams say when they lose regardless of whether it's true, just to create the story that they dominated and were unlucky. For most of this game it seems the consensus is that Scotland were just the better team in most facets, especially early on.

1680250013827.png
1680250052540.png

1680250156447.png

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Remember in the World Cup when everyone was saying this was a swansong for many great players, well Bale has retired, but Modric, Messi, Cristiano all seem to be around.
Apropos of this, one notes, with no small amount of schadenfreude, that yer Leekists lost 4-2 tonight. To Armenia. At home. 🤭

Meanwhile our chaps complete a routine evisceration of the plucky, etc. Maltese who, if the Guardian's match stats are correct, didn't trouble Pickford unduly:
20230616_214952.jpg

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Watching Alexander-Arnold playing in an orthodox mid-field role (as opposed to the hybrid full-back/midfielder role he plays for Liverpool) last night made me wonder whether Southgate has been following us on CW, as that's exactly what we were discussing a couple of weeks ago. I have no idea whether he can cut it there against serious opposition, but I'd like to see him given a go. An eventual midfield threesome of TAA, Rice and Bellingham sounds promising.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Apropos of this, one notes, with no small amount of schadenfreude, that yer Leekists lost 4-2 tonight. To Armenia. At home. 🤭

Meanwhile our chaps complete a routine evisceration of the plucky, etc. Maltese who, if the Guardian's match stats are correct, didn't trouble Pickford unduly:
View attachment 36051
Proof, if any was needed, of Palace's Marc Guehi's MOTM performance shielding Pickford from central defence.

Last edited:

CartyDurham

International Vice-Captain
What a turnaround that Norway match was

mind you I had evens for a Haaland goal. Could not believe that price as he’s been odds on all season