• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ricky Ponting vs Kumar Sangakkara

Who was the greater test batsman?

• Ricky Ponting

Votes: 29 64.4%
  • Kumar Sangakkara

Votes: 16 35.6%

• Total voters

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
yeah but the reason SL wickets first came up in this thread was to call them flat in the batting paradise therefore sanga average inflated sense which means migs is entirely right to clown on those who did
Yeah that's just straight up wrong. Cbf finding that stats but the average scores in SL weren't higher than most other places during that period IIRC

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
Spicy/flat pitches is a something of a false dichotomy.

It was an easy place for Murali to bowl cos of the spin and, more debatably, the pace and bounce.

It was an easy place for Sanga to bat cos the vast majority of quality visting bowlers relied on pace/bounce, which were particularly absent, as well as movement off the seam and swing, which while sometimes there, were typically low by world standards.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
What I'd like to know is this. Both india and sri lanka are generally spin friendly countries . Why is Murali's record so much better in SL than in India? Ditto Warne. Both did well in spin conditions of SL but failed in India. Do wickets in India spin differently?? Obviously, the strength of the India's line up made a difference but Murali succeeded at home vs them.
For Murali, Kumble and Harbhajan, I think ut was the ball. Murali hated the SG ball while Kumble and Harbhajan loved it. Murali preferred the Kookaburra. The strength of batting also was a factor. Kumble and Harbhajan average 40+ in SL.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
For Murali, Kumble and Harbhajan, I think ut was the ball. Murali hated the SG ball while Kumble and Harbhajan loved it. Murali preferred the Kookaburra. The strength of batting also was a factor. Kumble and Harbhajan average 40+ in SL.
Is it just me who thinks one single ball should be used across test cricket? Like sure make it pink or whatever for D/N tests but different manufacturers making balls just seems ****ing stupid.

BazBall21

International Regular
I actually think Sanga is underrated somewhat because he lacked the press of the other teams and didnt get to feature in marquee series that would have bolstered his reputation compared to Dravid and then Kohli who were much more hyped. Unlike Kallis whose reputation grew after his retirement, Sanga still gets ignored for some reason.
Agree. Lack of marquee series’ compared to Dravid unfairly hurts him.

ashley bach

International Captain
Was a massive fan of both these players, but I'm going with Ponting because when he was at his peak he was simply unbelievable.
Besides I've heard rumours over the last few months that Kumar was in fact a bit of a fraud.

ashley bach

International Captain
Which rumours are these? Or just drivel from a singular salty CW member?
Singular is definitely a remote possibility, but salty is not.
Put it this way, if there are any Sri Lankans that believe these rumours to be true, then it must at least be close to the truth.

Isura

U19 Captain
What I'd like to know is this. Both india and sri lanka are generally spin friendly countries . Why is Murali's record so much better in SL than in India? Ditto Warne. Both did well in spin conditions of SL but failed in India. Do wickets in India spin differently?? Obviously, the strength of the India's line up made a difference but Murali succeeded at home vs them.
Hmm, Murali had to play India in India! Who are pretty good at playing spin..

Slifer

International Captain
Hmm, Murali had to play India in India! Who are pretty good at playing spin..
Yeah but he bowled to those same batsmen at home and did much better. And both India and SL are conducive to spin. So what are the differences in the wickets/conditions??