• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ricky Ponting vs Kumar Sangakkara

Who was the greater test batsman?

• Ricky Ponting

Votes: 29 64.4%
  • Kumar Sangakkara

Votes: 16 35.6%

• Total voters

BazBall21

International Regular
Ponting because while Sanga was mid in four different countries (albeit small sample in WI), Ricky is very consistent across opponents and conditions with India away the only big hole. It's closer than some are saying though. Sangakkara's record against fast bowling is very good and he was probably ruthlessly prolific for longer. On either side of his monster 2002-2007 peak, Ponting averaged 44 and 40 respectively. Whereas Sanga averaged 64 in the final 60% of his Test career, albeit with plenty of access to minnow bullying.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Voted for Sanga, for very obvious reasons. If you only include a comparable period (so excluding the 90s for Ponting, where his average was lower anyway), Sanga's average is still over 5 points higher than Ponting. Add to that the fact that for some ****ing reason ( I wonder why, maybe a certain theory of mine is proving true ), Ponting is obliterating in this poll and I vote for those behind in such circumstances and this one becomes a no-brainier for mine.

This is made more impressive by the fact that for over a third of his Test career Sanga was also keeping, which seems to have a significant impact on batting production for the vast majority of keeper-batsmen, so for me Sanga has to be the most consistently underrated batsmen among what I'd call the ATG second tier.

( Also guys, lets get Gilly involved in this player comparison thread which does not include him. I'm sure we'll go over a lot of new ground, and people will have an open minded discussion based on merits of arguments, as opposed to being dug in and stubbornly supporting whichever preconceived notion they bring into the discussion. )