• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Richard Hadlee as a batsman - how good was he? Overrated, underrated?

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
It's always difficult to talk about the value of a #7 (or #8) batsman in a Test team. Outside of Gilchrist, none have ever really reached the lofty career peaks of a truly great middle order Test batsman. But he was every bit the batsman that Kapil was (can't wait for the Kapil diehards to talk about how many centuries he had ignoring entirely how many were made on dead pitches in meaningless draws).

Outside of Chris Cairns and Daniel Vettori, I don't think there was anyone better a batsman as he was in that position (if we exclude keepers) and those two are vastly inferior bowlers. Pollock/Kapil/Holder/(and Imran when he was actually a good bowler) were approximately at the same level.
Pollock yes.. Imran may be.. Kapil was clearly better

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
First half of his career he was a no.8, second half a no.7.

I think Hadlee would be around Pollock level with the bat. Fairly useful, but I don't think he could make top 6 overall.
Hadlee = Slightly better Mcgrath with Ball + slightly better Pollock with Bat

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Hadlee had a great eye, but was often found wanting against the short ball. Decent bat. Not quite a 7 for me.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Hadlee was really a very good lower order hitter for the most part. A moderate upgrade on Mitchell Johnson-level batting. Dangerous player when he got going but very hit or miss.
In terms of style, eye test, and maybe attitude, I think M Johnson is the best comparison. But, yes, an upgrade.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
by this dumb logic all of Kapil's wickets are worth more than any of Hadlee's given he had to bowl on those same dead pitches in meaningless draws
Nice try, but Kapil averaged 29 with the ball in Asia vs. Hadlee's 21

thierry henry

International Coach
All I have to offer is that in the early 90s I had this VHS about the history of NZ cricket and Hadlee said of his own batting "if it was up, it was off....if it was short, I would be in some difficulty to say the least".

Like it's not a snappy quote or anything but it's weird I remember it word for word 30 years later.