• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Retirements That Hurt

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't know what felt worse, watching Sachin's last two years or finally seeing him go. :(

Wish he'd got that 100th ton in the WC final at Mumbai and bowed out right then.. :(

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sachin's last couple of years helped youngsters one could argue but it was a pain to watch him bat in those years.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The way Dravid went from God mode in England to unable to play straight balls in Australia was quite sad.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't know what felt worse, watching Sachin's last two years or finally seeing him go. :(

Wish he'd got that 100th ton in the WC final at Mumbai and bowed out right then.. :(
Or gotten a few of those in 2007 when he kept getting out in the 90s.

Personally I think had he left ODI after WC11, and continued in tests, he could have left on a much higher note. His form in tests up to the mid Aus 2011 series was still very very good.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Kapil Dev. While England got their Flintoff and their Stokes, we never got a replacement. Been more than 20 years since his retirement.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Kapil Dev. While England got their Flintoff and their Stokes, we never got a replacement. Been more than 20 years since his retirement.
Sourav Ganguly
Sanjay Bangar
Ajit Agarkar
Irfan Pathan
Ravindra Jadeja
Ravichandan Ashwin

Edit: The last two are not troll posts. I think they can make a legitimate case, at least Ashwin can.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Did Engineer and Contractor ever get to build innings for India together?

Kenya still have not replaced Morris Odumbe, much as Steve Tikolo's retirement is seen as the big deal

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sourav Ganguly
Sanjay Bangar
Ajit Agarkar
Irfan Pathan
Ravindra Jadeja
Ravichandan Ashwin

Edit: The last two are not troll posts. I think they can make a legitimate case, at least Ashwin can.
Of the 6 on there the last 2 are the only ones that come remotely close to making a case as replacement Dev's.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
On a serious note I really hated seeing Hussey go, completely unexpected in that short term, especially after Punter had been destroyed.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So +/- a couple of years from now

- Morkel, Steyn & Philander
- Fatteh
- Anderson and Broad
- Misbah & Younis
- Watling & Ross

I think Misbah and Younis is the largest loss, but England are in for a world of pain once those two call it a day.

India and Australia looking quite good atm but I suspect we'll go through another painful cycle near the mid-late 2020s.