• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Resurrecting the Intercontinental Cup

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Because not all test nations are in the WTC, and because more context is better than none, and because even non full members have pockets of snob cricket fans I propose the following.

- The Intercontinental Cup be brought back with a format similar to the World Cup Qualifying pyramid leagues as follows
  • Stage one continental knockouts where associates/affiliates take each other on head on for one of two continental slots (and the right to 4 day test status)
  • Stage 2, 2 sides per continental region (Africa, Asia, North America, SENA, South America) play each other home and away, in 4 day test matches, over a time period concurrent with the WTC. Top 2 go on to global league, the rest go back to continental knockouts for the next cycle.
  • Stage 3 The top two teams in this group then goes into a championship knowck out phase with Ireland and Zimbabwe (and if the Taliban fall) Afghanistan concurrent with the WTC finals. Three match series semifinals, 3 match series final. All 4 day test matches.
  • Finalists gets to schedule test matches against the big 9 for the next WTC, while the drop back to the global level league, until the next finals.

Chubb

International Regular
Good idea to encourage more multiday cricket for associates, but I can't see Ireland or Zimbabwe agreeing to put their test status on the line.

The ICC has focused on T20 and to be fair I understand why. It's the format smaller nations are most likely to cause an upset in, doesn't need as much time (so easier for smaller cricket boards to stage) etc.

cnerd123

likes this
So the reason the intercontinental cup died is simply because the ICC didn't want to spend money behind it anymore and the associates cant afford to pay for it themselves.

I didn't mind it in its original format, I just wish it would come back