• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Remembering "Ollie" Milburn

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
One of the saddest losses to cricket was Colin Milburn who retired after losing the sight of his left eye in a motor accident in 1969. His right eye was also damaged. He announced his retirement in 1971 but attempted a comeback in 1973 and 1974. However, he was a shadow of his former self, and these games did little beyond reducing his career batting average.

Milburn played 9 Test matches scoring 2 centuries and 2 half centuries at an average of 46.7 but it was more a case of his aggressive style than any statistics for which he is remembered. Perhaps this was best illustrated by his 243 in a Shield game for WA against Queensland. In this innings he scored 181 runs between lunch and tea.

Milburn's Test career was cut short by his accident but it was also truncated because he was sometimes regarded as a liablility in the field. This was definitely the case early in his career. Selected for the First Test against the West Indies in 1966, he had the most ignominious start for an opener, run out for a first-innings duck. He redeemed himself with 94 in the second innings as England went down to a heavy defeat. An aggressive century (126 not out) helped England to draw the Second Test, and despite standing up courageously to the formidable Caribbean pace attack in the following matches, he was dropped for the final Test, supposedly because his bulk hindered his mobility in the field.

Milburn died of a heart attack in 1990. His funeral was attended by hundreds, including ex-players and fans, with Ian Botham one of the pallbearers. Nicknamed "Ollie" in reference to Oliver Hardy. Milburn never married.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Damn that's some retro Benaud commentary haha

Seems like he was very ahead of his time with his batting style

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
His career was just before my time. I remember him coming back to play in a televised John Player League match and being Run Out very early. He turned up as a radio commentary summariser when Northants were involved in big games and was always entertaining.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Despite his size he was a more-than-handy medium pacer as well. The disparity between his test and first class batting averages suggests that had he had a longer test career his average would have dropped. But perhaps the more reliable wickets usually served up for test cricket vs county three dayers suited his style.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Despite his size he was a more-than-handy medium pacer as well. The disparity between his test and first class batting averages suggests that had he had a longer test career his average would have dropped. But perhaps the more reliable wickets usually served up for test cricket vs county three dayers suited his style.
good point yeah. I was having a scan of his test record, only one test innings(his very final one) doesn't have his balls faced listed and so he doesn't have a career strike-rate listed on his record. But from the looks of all his other innings his strike-rate was super high. And in that final innings where there is no record of his balls faced, he scored 139 with 17 fours and a six so I have a feeling it was also scored very quickly.

actually upon further reading it seems his 'ill-advised' comeback in the '70s after losing his eye contributed a bit to his overall low FC average. He scored 670 runs @ 17 with one eye, so that was probably from around 40 innings. Not bad for playing with one eye as I imagine your depth perception would be terrible. I'd figure the only thing you still do with any decent ability would be bowling. Batting and fielding would be near impossible.

Last edited:

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
good point yeah. I was having a scan of his test record, only one test innings(his very final one) doesn't have his balls faced listed and so he doesn't have a career strike-rate listed on his record. But from the looks of all his other innings his strike-rate was super high. And in that final innings where there is no record of his balls faced, he scored 139 with 17 fours and a six so I have a feeling it was also scored very quickly.

actually upon further reading it seems his 'ill-advised' comeback in the '70s after losing his eye contributed a bit to his overall low FC average. He scored 670 runs @ 17 with one eye, so that was probably from around 40 innings. Not bad for playing with one eye as I imagine your depth perception would be terrible. I'd figure the only thing you still do with any decent ability would be bowling. Batting and fielding would be near impossible.
His average if you take away 670 runs in 39 (completed) innings would have been 34.78.