• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Red Cards in Cricket?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
deeps said:
What he did, is something that happens ALL THE TIME. Bowlers do it intentionally, batsman do it intentionally. Most cover it up, and make it look unintentional. Do you really think, that when batsman are told not to run on the pitch during their second innings, that they are running on it accidentally?

What about bowlers? Do you think they accidentally forget not to follow through on the pitch? Come on, they've been playing on turf pitches for most of their career, they don't simply "forget". It's intentional, the sooner you realise that, the better.
It does not happen all the time and there's a huge difference between gamesmanship and downright cheating like what Afridi did which you seem to have missed. Gamesmanship would be pushing your luck and encroaching onto the 'danger area' in the bowler's follow through, this sort of gamesmanship *does* happen all the time, as does other forms of gamesmanship like overappealing or excessive appealing. Cheating is walking down the pitch and scuffing the wicket up, or bouncing the ball off the ground and saying you caught it.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Scaly piscine said:
It does not happen all the time and there's a huge difference between gamesmanship and downright cheating like what Afridi did which you seem to have missed. Gamesmanship would be pushing your luck and encroaching onto the 'danger area' in the bowler's follow through, this sort of gamesmanship *does* happen all the time, as does other forms of gamesmanship like overappealing or excessive appealing. Cheating is walking down the pitch and scuffing the wicket up, or bouncing the ball off the ground and saying you caught it.
8-)

open365

Scaly piscine said:
Of course it has no effect on the pitch, they thought they'd just cheat for the hell of it. This ridiculous 'oh it's only a bit of inconsequential cheating' attitude is sickening. Can you imagine that sort of attitude in exams?
I'm not taking the approach,i just think that teams/players are being dealt too harshly.

Did the pitch suddenly start turning like crazy?

Does a bowler get 7-9 after he's altered the ball slightly?

no,and they never will do.

Scaly piscine

open365 said:
I'm not taking the approach,i just think that teams/players are being dealt too harshly.

Did the pitch suddenly start turning like crazy?

Does a bowler get 7-9 after he's altered the ball slightly?

no,and they never will do.
The difference between a pitch that does absolutely nothing and a pitch that offers something on a spinner's length is huge - 450-500 par score becomes 350 par score simply because two spinners could just bowl at the rough all day and actually cause the odd problem. We don't know exactly what difference the boot scraping had, but if players can see the appearance of the pitch has changed then there's certainly a difference.

Scaly piscine

open365 said:
which player said that the pitch was changed?
Off the top of my head: When the players went back to their positions after the fuss over the explosion, Tresco recognised an area on a length had cricket stud marks on it.

Mecnun

U19 Debutant
I think both England and Pak would have ended up with 10 players each if this farcical rule was in place. Anyhow it did not impact England's innings from what I could see and Afridi has apologised plus he was punished unlike some others I could mention.
In short a stupid idea and unlikely to work IMO.

Scaly piscine

no1_gangsta_786 said:
if afridi was banned.......why was bell let off after that "catch" of mohammad Yousuf?????????
Just the little problem of there being no proof of:

1. Bell dropping the catch
2. Bell knowing he had dropped the catch

open365

^exactly.

mr.Gangsta,did you even see the incident?

first off,it was on the floor for about .1 of a second,i dought very much whther Bell had any idea he caught it.Which also explains Bell's muted appealing.

no1_gangsta_786

U19 Cricketer
Yes i saw the incident......and im quite sure bell would av known that he hadnt taken the catch cleanly.........just like Sami, when he took a return catch that was low......halted the celebrations of his team....because he hadnt taken it cleanly.....Bell clearly cheated!

Scaly piscine

no1_gangsta_786 said:
Yes i saw the incident......and im quite sure bell would av known that he hadnt taken the catch cleanly.........just like Sami, when he took a return catch that was low......halted the celebrations of his team....because he hadnt taken it cleanly.....Bell clearly cheated!
Again, you've still got no proof.

Scaly piscine

no1_gangsta_786 said:
Proof.....video evidence...clearly showing ball touching the ground
Would it stand up in court? Nope
Would that evidence prove beyond reasonable doubt that Bell knew he had dropped the catch? Nope

iiqbal

Cricket Spectator
Bell Obviously Knew He Droppd The Catch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He Threw It Up In The Air After 2 Secs Of Holdin It
Den Lukd Around Sooooooooooo Guiltily!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh Well Pakistan Still Kikd Ur Cheatin ***

no1_gangsta_786

U19 Cricketer
Whether he was confused or not........im sure as a player he was able to tell whether he had caught the ball properly or it had touched the ground first......and also after he grabbed the ball he touched the ball on the ground whilst the ball was in his hand.....and im sure he would have been able to tell he had just done that!

iiqbal

Cricket Spectator
U Suk

wat u talkin bout!!!!!!!!
1st of all Bell was born confusd!!!!!!!!
an 2 England were sooooo desperate for the wicket that he cheated plain and simple!!!!!!!!!
and at least afridi apologized 4 wat he did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
an wat bout the trescothic catch in the slips???????????
he didnt catch that 1 either!!!!!!!!!!!!
afridi and mohammed yousif both out because of english cheatin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WE STILL WON THOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!