• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Record or Result

Record or Result

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Which would give you greater satisfaction ?
If one of your countrymen were to set/break a record ?
Or if they were to go for a result (win) ?

e.g. if SRT were to hit the 50th 100's record and draw a match or hit a quickfire 57 out and win a match ?

or put another way : Are you a records-oriented person or a results-oriented one ?

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
I would go for the record, you can always come back to win another game but the record is a record.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member

e.g. if SRT were to hit the 50th 100's record and draw a match or hit a quickfire 57 out and win a match ?

or put another way : Are you a records-oriented person or a results-oriented one ?
Results any day.
After Sachin gets his 50th century in both formats :ph34r:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
You play to win the games. Anything else is ****ish.

If someone cares about individual records then they should be ice dancing.

Maximus0723

State Regular
You play to win the games. Anything else is ****ish.

If someone cares about individual records then they should be ice dancing.
This but I would rephrase it like "if some one ONLY about individual records..."

We know everyone has some sort of attachment to their personal records but the magnitude of it is variable. But someone who only plays for himself and not for the team then yea I wouldn't be big fan of him.

Maximus0723

State Regular

I don't know any individual in cricket who cares heavily about their performance and cares little about the match's result.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
This but I would rephrase it like "if some one ONLY about individual records..."

We know everyone has some sort of attachment to their personal records but the magnitude of it is variable. But someone who only plays for himself and not for the team then yea I wouldn't be big fan of him.
Im a bowler. Certainly not Test class but still a bowler. If I a took none-fer an we won then that is always far better than me taking 7-fer and losing.

Of course the ideal situation is that we win and I am the man but being the man in a loss is a waste of time. Cricket is a team game and contributing to wins is why we play the game.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The result but perhaps not absolutely always - I'm thinking of situations where, for example, a bloke has 8 or 9 wickets and the bowling side have loads of time left to get the other 1 or 2 and are in no danger of losing - in those circumstances I wouldn't criticise the support bowlers for easing up a bit

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Records vs Results

(1) Bradman averages 99.94 and Australia beat England 17 times out of the 37 tests he played against them.

OR

(2) In a parallel universe, Australia beat England 25 times out of those same 37 tests, but Bradman never exists.

I know I'd take the first every single time, especially since I'm not English.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
The result but perhaps not absolutely always - I'm thinking of situations where, for example, a bloke has 8 or 9 wickets and the bowling side have loads of time left to get the other 1 or 2 and are in no danger of losing - in those circumstances I wouldn't criticise the support bowlers for easing up a bit
Ha! One can only guess that you were never a bowler. If some **** at the other end has 8 or 9 then there is no way in hell Im letting him take all 10 and grab the glory.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Im a bowler. Certainly not Test class but still a bowler. If I a took none-fer an we won then that is always far better than me taking 7-fer and losing.
If I'm being honest, I think I might take the 7-fer and lose. Apart from anything else, if you keep on taking none-fers you'd get fed up pretty quickly with not contributing and generally being the team gimp. Having said which, you wouldn't have to put up with that for long because you'd get dropped.

Edit: depends on the circumstances, obviously. If it's the deciding Ashes Test or WC final, I'd happily take the none-fer

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ha! One can only guess that you were never a bowler. If some **** at the other end has 8 or 9 then there is no way in hell Im letting him take all 10 and grab the glory.
I was a bowler but not a very good one I'm afraid - but I take your point - I probably read too much Neville Cardus as a child

Debris

International 12th Man
The result is what the game is played for. Chase the results and the records will look after themselves.

Adam Gilchrist is probably a good example. He threw his wicket away quite a few times in pursuit of quick runs. Does anyone think less of him because his average is a bit under 50 instead of a bit over 50? Or is reputation increased because he helped to win so many test matches?

This is probably why I tend to mark players down when they play for losing side.

Last edited:

TumTum

Banned
It would be so awesome to see a record, but if it means we can't win the match then I will be very disappointed.

So if possible, a record with a results. Otherwise just a results.