• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Really Bad Cricketers

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Andrew Johns would have to be up there as the worst who has got their own Cricinfo page.

Played for NSW T20 side as a gimmick when the concept was treated as a semi-joke in Oz and effectively cost NSW in one of the two matches he played because Simon Katich refused to put him on strike in the final over of the chase.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If he played Test cricket he de facto doesn't belong near this thread. Just to underscore the stupidity of that call, Jarvis' career FC and List A figures:

FC 654 wickets @ 28.92
List A 399 wickets @ 24.22
Agreed

The vast majority who have played in the modern era for established nations would all be exceptional cricketers when compared to everyday players

Take Mohammad Sami as an example

His test bowling average is a standing joke BUT he averaged 28 with the ball and 18 with the bat in the fc game so he could play

He simply didnt do justice to his undoubted talent at the highest level

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
People who didn't understand the point of this thread: We are not talking about international players with relatively few achievements and so you don't rate very much. We are talking about really bad cricketers.
In that case, it is me.

91Jmay

International Coach
Exactly. At some point your concern for another person's well being has to take priority. Surely you can place it higher than bouncing some brave stupid novice from the UAE. I can't see the justification that it was a WC game as an excuse. Donald should have been trying to win the game. You do that by taking wickets whereas the ball he bowled was spiteful, malicious and potentially deadly. Statham was once encouraged to bounce a tailender in revenge. He responded by saying he'll just bowl him out. I think he way both reacted reflects on their character. Statham was hard but no bully and Donald could have yorked his man. At least Donald isn't as much of a dick as Brett Lee. Fist pumping and death staring a fat middle aged man after you've pinged him. What a ****.

As an aside it does make you wonder about the wisdom of playing associates against test teams
I want to be clear that my like for this post doesn't cover the Piers Moron part. I'd fist pump if I hit that **** with my car

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
There was a tri series between India, RSA and Kenya in RSA around 1997 or whatever. There was a guy (forget his name, was it Jimmy Kamande?) who was there in the XI but never batted and never bowled for the first 3 or 4 games. Harsha Bhogle was obsessed with him during commentary. He would keep saying he would need to be the greatest fielder of all time to command a place in the side if you are not going to bat or bowl. :laugh:

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
There was a tri series between India, RSA and Kenya in RSA around 1997 or whatever. There was a guy (forget his name, was it Jimmy Kamande?) who was there in the XI but never batted and never bowled for the first 3 or 4 games. Harsha Bhogle was obsessed with him during commentary. He would keep saying he would need to be the greatest fielder of all time to command a place in the side if you are not going to bat or bowl. :laugh:
Maybe the Standard Bank Triangular Tournament of 2001-2? Kamande was batting down the order in his 3 matches, and only bowled 5 overs. Also, Brijal Patel played 5 games, batted only once and only bowled 15 overs (but he did take 2 wickets).

a massive zebra

International Captain
Richard Pearson could possibly be the worst first class cricketer ever to take 100 first class wickets. Those qualified to judge must have seen something in him, as he represented England Young Cricketers and played for three different county sides over a number of years. But Pearson spectacularly failed to repay this confidence, finishing with a really pathetic first class bowling average of 55 and no batting pedigree to speak of.

AndrewB

Richard Pearson could possibly be the worst first class cricketer ever to take 100 first class wickets. Those qualified to judge must have seen something in him, as he represented England Young Cricketers and played for three different county sides over a number of years. But Pearson spectacularly failed to repay this confidence, finishing with a really pathetic first class bowling average of 55 and no batting pedigree to speak of.
Looking into how he got to play enough games to reach 100 wickets: over half of those wickets were for Cambridge University, and most of the rest were in 1996 for Surrey, who seem to have been very short of spin bowling options that season (the following year they signed Saqlain and Salisbury), plus he did score a few runs for them.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Played with him

Very good bowler that was undone by injuries

As a youngster, he bowled seriously rapid outswing which is always a potential recipe for success

However, he had to slightly change his action and lost a bit of pace (still slippery mind) plus much of the swing

His test figures dont really tell the tale IMO
Also just about the only honest REBEL TOUR cricketer, said the money on offer would pay off his mortgage and given his injuries in his career he couldn't not do that as he didn't know how long he had left as a player.

AndrewB

There might have been one or two who said something about keeping cricket alive in South Africa, but I think "cricket careers are short, injuries are common, I'm here for the money" was fairly typical.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Charles Gordon, AKA Lord Strathavon 1794-1836, Earl of Aboyne 1836-1853 and the 10th Marquis of Huntly 1853-1863

First-class career summary: 33 matches, 193 runs @ 4.02, HS of 19; never bowled

Charles Gordon, then Lord Strathavon, played for the Players in the second Gentlemen vs Players match in 1819. This irked the purist Arthur Haygarth, who wrote in Frederick Lillywhite's Scores & Biographies, Vol. 1 "It is presumed Lord Strathavon played for the players because he 'backed' them; it, however, weakened their side, did not add interest to the game and would not now be allowed". Lord Strathavon had a long and undistinguished career between 1819 and 1843, playing 33 first class matches with a batting average of just over 4. Born Charles Gordon in 1792, he was sent abroad to Lisbon as a young man on his mothers instructions to get him away from the profligate hunting group he had fallen in with. He later became an MP and acted as one of George IV's Lords of the Bedchamber between 1826 and 1830, which must have given him some stories to tell. His first wife died in 1839 and after retiring from cricket, he remarried at the age of 52, producing 14 children over the next 17 years. He became the Earl of Aboyne in 1836 on the death of his father, and succeeded to the title of Marquis of Huntley on the death of his cousin, George Gordon, who had been an early MCC member.

A rival for Benjamin Aislabie!

Last edited:

a massive zebra

International Captain
Thanks to a couple of good posts by a massive zebra and fredfertang in the 'cricketers with interesting records' thread, I have recently become aware of the existence of a pair of frankly terrible cricketers, and I want to find more.

Benjamin Aislabie

First-class career summary: 56 matches, 224 runs @ 3.15, HS of 15*; never bowled
His cricinfo biography begins "Benjamin Aislabie was quite possibly one of the worst first-class cricketers of all time". I'm not sure why they needed to say 'quite possibly', but other than that, nail on head. Apparently he was equally bad as MCC secretary.

Claim to fame: Towards the end of the career he had a permanent runner who also acted as a permanent sub fielder for him, as he was too fat to fulfill either of these duties himself.
A bit of info about Benjamin Aislabie, taken from Patrick Morrah's book Alfred Mynn and the Cricketers of His Time:

Patrick Morrah said:
Aislabie, who is immortalised in Tom Brown's Schooldays, was one of the great characters of cricket. He became honorary secretary of the M.C.C. in 1822, and never was a club secretary more popular. He was an enormous man, who was only around 5ft 6ins in height, but weighed nearly twenty stone; when batting he always had a runner, who however seldom had much to do. Aislabie radiated charm and good humour, was the author of a number of cricket songs, and used to sing them at club dinners. He seldom made a run, never bowled, and was much too baulky to be of any use in the field; but he was so devoted to the game that he played whenever he got the chance, and went on playing until he was sixty-seven. His achievements were summed up in some contemporary verses, in which affection shines clearly through the ridicule:

'Tis Aislabie's boast to form most of the matches,
In this way at cricket; he makes but few catches,
But still he's contented some money to pay,
For the sake of encouraging excellent play.

He doats on the game, has played many a year,
Weighs at least seventeen stones, on his pins rather queer;
But still he takes the bat, and there's no better fun
Than to see him when batting attempting to run.

Last edited: