• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rate these almost-great fast bowlers

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah I just want to make it clear that I do think Bond was significantly better than Lee, particularly at test level. It's a shame that Bond didn't get enough of a chance to really prove it.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
The bigger criticism of Anderson is that even since 2010 he has averaged 30 bowling away from home (150 wickets @29.76) and >30 in all countries other than West Indies.
you left out the UAE where he has a strangely superb record on some absolute motorways.

but anyway, lets talk about simon jones knocking over michael clarke's off pole again....

Shady Slim

International Coach
The thing is, Anderson is probably that most skillful bowler around when it comes to sideways movement and accuracy. The problem is that he doesn't have that pace or bounce to create enough opportunities against the best batsmen in conditions which don't suit swing bowling. That means in the cast majority of the world he's consistent and keeps it tight but he doesn't get the big hauls like someone like Steyn, who is very similar but 15kph quicker.
philander, ftr, though i get your point

other thing that works against anderson is his utterly balls record in ashes series here which is always important in determinations for an english or an australian player

Gowza

U19 12th Man
Do Wayne daniel and sylvester clarke fit this category? Tony gray possibly to but less so.

As far as those in the list, they were all above average international quality bowlers who I would expect would have continued in a similar fashion to what they already did if their careers had been longer.

If you’re looking at tiers I’d say croft, Bishop, procter, bond and maybe abbott are the top tier, asif would probably sneak into that tier as well. Then Reid, Clark, Harris, shoaib and Fannie in another tier. Jones I never really rated as much the as others.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Talking about Asif still hurts. He was Philander without being crap away.
Asif was the one time I called it absolutely right. Not sure if I mentioned it here but I was on board with giving him a chance despite his poor showing in Australia. He wiped the floor with England in a tour match and somehow didn't get picked, I was livid. Rana ****ing Naved played ahead of him. Thankfully this was corrected in the next series.

Shady Slim

International Coach
Talking about Asif still hurts. He was Philander without being crap away.
philander sucking on tour is a myth ffs - he’s definitely a bowler who’s lethal in swinging conditions and serviceable otherwise but averages of sub 24 in not only sa but england, nz and the uae (!! - though from only two tests) says he can play in more countries than just south africa

his average in australia is above 30, only just, and he’s got some key performances here such as a four-for in perth when they last toured here which helped to turn the match and take australia from 1-100 to 210ao or so, and hobart was incredibly favourable conditions he did brilliantly in

now

his record on the subcontinent isn’t great but i posit that one, he suffered from injury on his india tours and failing that subcontinent cricket isn’t real anyway so who cares? man is a legend, and in all conditions has had an excellent economy rate as well tbhwy

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
Do Wayne daniel and sylvester clarke fit this category? Tony gray possibly to but less so.

As far as those in the list, they were all above average international quality bowlers who I would expect would have continued in a similar fashion to what they already did if their careers had been longer.

If you’re looking at tiers I’d say croft, Bishop, procter, bond and maybe abbott are the top tier, asif would probably sneak into that tier as well. Then Reid, Clark, Harris, shoaib and Fannie in another tier. Jones I never really rated as much the as others.
I like this list. I might go:

Bishop Poctor
Bond Croft
Shoaib Asif
The rest (except Jones), who I am either too lazy to differentiate between because they were always going to be a step or two below ATGs, or just am not sure (see Reid).

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
philander sucking on tour is a myth ffs - he’s definitely a bowler who’s lethal in swinging conditions and serviceable otherwise but averages of sub 24 in not only sa but england, nz and the uae (!! - though from only two tests) says he can play in more countries than just south africa

his average in australia is above 30, only just, and he’s got some key performances here such as a four-for in perth when they last toured here which helped to turn the match and take australia from 1-100 to 210ao or so, and hobart was incredibly favourable conditions he did brilliantly in

now

his record on the subcontinent isn’t great but i posit that one, he suffered from injury on his india tours and failing that subcontinent cricket isn’t real anyway so who cares? man is a legend, and in all conditions has had an excellent economy rate as well tbhwy
Philander was quality, forever underrated on here though.