• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***RANT*** BBC Sports Personality

nick-o

State 12th Man
On the one hand, congratulations to Fred-o and to the Ashes winners for picking up Sports Personality and Team of the Year awards at the BBC Sports Personality thingie yesterday.

Also, huge congrats to Shane Warne for Overseas Personality of the Year.

But......

Duncan Fletcher was not given the Coach of the Year Award????

What is going on????

If Fred-o and the team deserve it, how much more so does Duncan Fletcher????

Sure, Chelsea aren't bad and Mourinho isn't too shoddy, but Chelsea owe more to the money laundering of billions of rubles than to any one coach.

But England's success is hugely, overwhelmingly due to Fletcher's work and planning for years. Half the Ashes winning team wouldn't have been playing if it wasn't for Fletch picking them from nowhere and sticking by them against the odds.

No other coach could have won back the Ashes. Scores of other coaches could have spent Abramovich's illgotten gains.

Disgusted!!!!!

[end rant; thanks, I feel better for that]

steds

Hall of Fame Member
To be perfectly honest, I think John Kear deserved coach of the year more than either Fletcher or Mourinho, but it wasn't ever happening, of course, because he isn't involved in a "mainstream" sport.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
well if we are going by the "personality" bit then of course Mohrinho should have won he had a sucesfull year and is a great personality. And of course you are right about John Kear becaue it is the BBC and only one region of the country could care less about rugby league. anyway they only won the chalange cup didnt they?

social

nick-o said:
On the one hand, congratulations to Fred-o and to the Ashes winners for picking up Sports Personality and Team of the Year awards at the BBC Sports Personality thingie yesterday.

Also, huge congrats to Shane Warne for Overseas Personality of the Year.

But......

Duncan Fletcher was not given the Coach of the Year Award????

What is going on????

If Fred-o and the team deserve it, how much more so does Duncan Fletcher????

Sure, Chelsea aren't bad and Mourinho isn't too shoddy, but Chelsea owe more to the money laundering of billions of rubles than to any one coach.

But England's success is hugely, overwhelmingly due to Fletcher's work and planning for years. Half the Ashes winning team wouldn't have been playing if it wasn't for Fletch picking them from nowhere and sticking by them against the odds.

No other coach could have won back the Ashes. Scores of other coaches could have spent Abramovich's illgotten gains.

Disgusted!!!!!

[end rant; thanks, I feel better for that]
If you are going to give Duncan Fletcher tha amount of credit that you do for Eng's Ashes triumph (which I dont), then he must face equal amounts of criticism for the Pak debacle.

There has been little or no apparent planning to the batting, bowling and field placements and, as such, Fletcher's role should come under close scrutiny if the the same is evident in India.

Mourinho, on the other hand, has done exactly what he was employed to do.

History is littered with examples of under-performing "groups" (as opposed to a "team") of superstars (see the current Real Madrid side, which has a playing pool every bit as good as Chelsea's). Mourinho has been one of the few to engender sufficient team spirit in individuals of disparate nationalities and massive egos.

Whilst I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments re Ibramovich (beneficiary of one of history's greatest financial "wind-falls" - you never know who is watching :D ) and feel for supporters of other Premier League sides, Mourinho's achievements with his side of mercenaries shouldnt be underestimated.

Scaly piscine

I could understand giving it to Mourinho if he'd won the CL and/or FA Cup along with the Premiership, but he didn't - so he's not really done anything this year to separate him from every Premiership winning manager for each of the last however many seasons.

Otherwise you'd just hand the award to whoever wins the Premiership each year.