• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rank these players in tests formats?

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Those stats are great but that has certainly helped by being in the stronger side. Not many good knocks as solo starrer for him.
As others have said, I think people have a hard time rating AB's career fairly because we all expected so much more from him in tests.

RK_123

School Boy/Girl Captain
Tough to say what defines ATG but I would certainly say all 6 are high up on the list.

After the Ponting, Sachin, Kallis, Lara, Sangakkara group - would we say they the next generation if we go in 5-year blocks for generations ? Do those 6 have better contemporaries ?
I dont think these six are at same level as Sachins , Lara's and Kallis of the previous era.Those guys had a longer career and still average higher facing better bowlers.

Younis or Inzy are perhaps their contemporaries who can be rated as same level to these six perhaps with may be slight fluctuations as per opinions difference.

SeamUp

International Coach
I dont think these six are at same level as Sachins , Lara's and Kallis of the previous era.Those guys had a longer career and still average higher facing better bowlers.

Younis or Inzy are perhaps their contemporaries who can be rated as same level to these six perhaps with may be slight fluctuations as per opinions difference.
Wasn't implying they were but I do understand your thinking. May not totally agree but do understand the under-performance of AB possibly in test cricket with the high expectations.

I think I would put Inzy more with Tendulkar, Lara, de Silva, Anwar
Kallis, Ponting, Dravid, Younus, Sangakkara, Jayawardene probably all together.

But I can't think of a batsman better than those 6 in the 32-36 age group (even starting at 30). Maybe Ian Bell and Ross Taylor have decent records but not better than those 6.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I think AB is being way underrated and Clarke way overrated.

Ab averages 55 in tests outside South Africa. Clarke averaged less than 40 in tests outside Australia.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Wasn't implying they were but I do understand your thinking. May not totally agree but do understand the under-performance of AB possibly in test cricket with the high expectations.

But I can't think of a batsman better than those 6 in the 32-36 age group (even starting at 30). Maybe Ian Bell and Ross Taylor have decent records but not better than those 6.
Sehwag's better but he's 38.

RK_123

School Boy/Girl Captain

Forgot to mention but the likes of Hayden or Sehwag pretty much would fall in that same category as these six guys.

Bell or Taylor are well behind IMO.So would be Anwar, de silva and Jayawardene( poor overseas).

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member

Tec15

First Class Debutant
1. Amla
2. AB
3. Smith
4. Cook
5. Pietersen
6. Clarke

Home track bully Clarke is the obvious bottom choice.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sometimes it begs belief that a jewel of the nation like the Gold Coast is in such proximity to that third world state of NSW.

Really hits home.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
AB de Villiers
Hashim Amla
Alastair Cook
Graeme Smith
Kevin Pieterson
Michael Clarke

Amla and De Villiers have been on a similar level in my mind during their careers. However, at this time I give it to De Villiers as I find his play has been exceptional no matter if he has pressures of captaincy or keeping. The whole list is full of players who have played great and important innings though.