• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rank These 21st Century Pacers

Flem274*

123/5
This is probably rancid bait, but it's astonishing how people write off longevity. I mean, Bond played half his Tests on NZ greentops and averaged 9 in 2 Tests against a Zimbabwe team that even Irfan Pathan cleaned up against.

And this is coming from a guy who likes Bond much more than Anderson and Broad.
is this a reference to the crying ganguly series?

and true, i was unfair, southee can actually bowl without a duke.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Is the fact that I zoned out of the mid-10s for a bit making me gloss over some of these guys or did you guys forget how good Asif was. Better than Johnson and Wagner at least imo. Bumrah still hasn't played enough.
Dude you were 12 in the mid 10s

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dude you were 12 in the mid 10s
Yeah but I stopped watching for a bit. Steyn, Asif, Harris and Bond are clear as day in memory because they were exciting and I was impressionable. Rabada and Johnson rose in that middle period so I've only seen them at less than their best.

vcs

is this a reference to the crying ganguly series?

and true, i was unfair, southee can actually bowl without a duke.
The pitches were appalling, Oram, Tuffey, Zaheer (rubbish version), Nehra, Bangar etc. looked like prime Marshall and Ambrose. All mediocre and/or trundlers.

Flem274*

123/5
The pitches were appalling, Oram, Tuffey, Zaheer (rubbish version), Nehra, Bangar etc. looked like prime Marshall and Ambrose. All mediocre and/or trundlers.
wrong, and the (bond) highlights are on youtube for all to see.

my favourite was ganguly chasing a ball 5 kilometres outside off.

Shri

Mr. Glass
If you've seen Starc live, he'd easily be in any top 10 list. Tv/cameras don't do justice to his speed

OverratedSanity

@flem I've heard you say that the 02 series didn't have greentops many times. It's like Migara's "Fleming was Vaas' bitch" routine. Can't say I agree that the decks weren't extremely difficult.

You're right about the ganguly tears stuff because unlike dravid he didn't have the ability to actually get runs in those conditions. But that doesn't mean they weren't terrible pitches to bat on. Amazing pitches for watchability though. It's a shame we don't get those more often.

OverratedSanity

Steyn
Anderson
Cummins
Philander
Broad
Johnson
Bond
Rabada
Harris
Bumrah

Bond would probably be higher if his body didn't give up on him, and Asif could've been #2 if he wasn't a ****ing moron.

vcs

Steyn
Anderson
Cummins
Philander
Broad
Johnson
Bond
Rabada
Harris
Bumrah

Bond would probably be higher if his body didn't give up on him, and Asif could've been #2 if he wasn't a ****ing moron.
This is quite fair. Probably have Harris above Rabada who's been quite poor in Asia (but Harris probably never played there at all so dunno)

Flem274*

123/5
Any list with Jimmy not in it is pure bait
home: 371 @ 23
away: 194 @ 33

record if he didn't benefit from english test spam. let's be generous and say 100 tests: 384 @ 29

he's a good bowler fortunate enough to be born in a country with a strong media presence that spams games with the best ball for bowling. if he plays for sri lanka or the west indies, no one cares about him.

i used to be an anderson defender, then for a laugh to wind up adders over lockdown i looked into anderson and discovered the aussies had a point for once.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
@flem I've heard you say that the 02 series didn't have greentops many times. It's like Migara's "Fleming was Vaas' bitch" routine. Can't say I agree that the decks weren't extremely difficult.

You're right about the ganguly tears stuff because unlike dravid he didn't have the ability to actually get runs in those conditions. But that doesn't mean they weren't terrible pitches to bat on. Amazing pitches for watchability though. It's a shame we don't get those more often.
The Wellington pitch in the first test I think was a pretty typical NZ pitch. Maybe a bit more lively than normal, but Dravid and Richardson showed that if you knuckled down and really applied yourself you could make runs. Then in the second innings India just got blown away by some great bowling by Bond and never recovered.

The Hamilton pitch in the second test was a disaster. 90 plays 90 plays 150 plays 150/6. That's a garbage surface, and one of a string of problem pitches at Hamilton before they got the turf relaid in 04/05

TheJediBrah

Flem's list can't be serious. Definitely trolling hard.
It's better than most of the others here

will not be surprised to see this turn into another "Anderson is overrated/underrated" thread

Last edited:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
home: 371 @ 23
away: 194 @ 33

record if he didn't benefit from english test spam. let's be generous and say 100 tests: 384 @ 29

he's a good bowler fortunate enough to be born in a country with a strong media presence that spams games with the best ball for bowling. if he plays for sri lanka or the west indies, no one cares about him.

i used to be an anderson defender, then for a laugh to wind up adders over lockdown i looked into anderson and discovered the aussies had a point for once.
We all know if Anderson played for Sri Lanka or something he would be absolutely loved on here.

England play a ton of Tests again the best teams, home and away. Imagine if how good Anderson's record would be if he got to play an equal portion of his matches against Sri Lanka and West Indies and got to go home after a couple of Tests away to India and Australia like the New Zealand bowlers do.