• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rank the leading wicket takers of the past 50 years

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Also remember an ODI around that period when Bruce Reid walked out to bat and they put his stats out and I was like 6 or 7 years old but I could read, and my uncles and cousins have put enough cricket knowledge in me that I understood what batting averages were and high scores were, and his stats read something like average 2.something and highest score of 10 or 11. I burst out laughing coz the 6 year old me had recently scored a 50 in our terrace game and obviously, I thought it meant I was a better batsman than that guy.
you probably were tbf

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
He is an under rated part of the side that got you back on the road to world domination though. Love me some left arm tall fast stuff. Maybe why I like Mitch Starc too.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yep.. covering all bases. And FWIW, I always thought McGrath would make the perfect first change seamer too. Obviously, he was awesome with the new ball as well but coming after these two, he would have been even more terrifying to face, just from a batsman's perspective.

correct me if I am wrong, but McDermott taking over as the bowling coach was the turning point with how the Aussies seamers were bowling, right? I mean, post McWarne...

aussie tragic

International Captain
I know the OP says 'last 50 years' but I'm wondering how Alec Bedser stacks up with these 9 as he held the record broken by Trueman.

I don't know anything about him but he seems to have a pretty good record.

trundler

I know the OP says 'last 50 years' but I'm wondering how Alec Bedser stacks up with these 9 as he held the record broken by Trueman.

I don't know anything about him but he seems to have a pretty good record.
Statham went past Bedser first.

morgieb

correct me if I am wrong, but McDermott taking over as the bowling coach was the turning point with how the Aussies seamers were bowling, right? I mean, post McWarne...
Short-term yes, but McDermott wasn't there (IIRC) when Johnson went super saiyan and a lot of it also went down to a golden generation of quicks (Cummins, Hazlewood, Pattinson, Starc) coming through.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I am saying they got better as they were initiated under McDermott's tutelage? or was it after him that they all debuted?

morgieb

I am saying they got better as they were initiated under McDermott's tutelage? or was it after him that they all debuted?
Ehhhh, Hazlewood debuted after he left, Cummins only played the one Test until 2017, Starc was pretty average at Test level before about 2015 (by which time McDermott left). Pattinson, possibly. I still think they'd have been excellent quicks without McDermott's tutelage, though.

Where he excelled was getting the best out of the second tier talents like Siddle and Hilfenhaus. Possibly also Harris.

EDIT: Was wrong, forgot that McDermott came back around 2014/15.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
All I remember is that in that series in 2011 when we toured there, McDermott was often quoted talking about the styles of bowling. The bowling coach immediately before him was the guy who rested all bowlers after the blockathon by RSA and was following a more scientific method. Mcdy was the one who seemed to ask them to just bowl more and more, try to hit hard lengths and get the ball to move. The attack in the 2011 series definitely over performed by a huge margin. Was also the one series where the Indian seamers were consistently quicker but looked totally pedestrian in contrast to the Aussie who mixed up lively fast medium with movement both off the seam and in the air, with hard lengths and extracing more bounce along with all that.

morgieb

All I remember is that in that series in 2011 when we toured there, McDermott was often quoted talking about the styles of bowling. The bowling coach immediately before him was the guy who rested all bowlers after the blockathon by RSA and was following a more scientific method. Mcdy was the one who seemed to ask them to just bowl more and more, try to hit hard lengths and get the ball to move. The attack in the 2011 series definitely over performed by a huge margin. Was also the one series where the Indian seamers were consistently quicker but looked totally pedestrian in contrast to the Aussie who mixed up lively fast medium with movement both off the seam and in the air, with hard lengths and extracing more bounce along with all that.
Yeah haha I'm certainly not one to deny McDermott's impact, he is a brilliant bowling coach. I guess I just think the Oz attack would've rebounded anyway, if not quite as quick as they did post 10/11 Ashes.