• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rank the leading wicket takers of the past 50 years

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Nine men have held the record for the most wickets in Test Cricket in the last 50 years. (Just means they've held the record in that time, not taken all their wickets).

1.Lillee
2.Trueman
3.Hadlee
4.Murali
5.Warne
6.Walsh
7.Botham
8.Dev
9.Gibbs

I tend to rate the truly great pace men just ahead of the truly great spinners.
Each to their own, including not caring or not having to.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
You are a lucky one, sir. :) I get the feeling with Murali setting the bar so ridiculously high, it will be a while before anyone can say they watched more than one record breaking bowlers' career.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
You are a lucky one, sir. :) I get the feeling with Murali setting the bar so ridiculously high, it will be a while before anyone can say they watched more than one record breaking bowlers' career.
Yes, Murali set a high bar. However, nothing was more impressive than a new ball bowler taking on the opposition's best batsmen. Trueman v Bob Simpson was an encounter I remember when I was younger and more impressionable.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes, Murali set a high bar. However, nothing was more impressive than a new ball bowler taking on the opposition's best batsmen. Trueman v Bob Simpson was an encounter I remember when I was younger and more impressionable.
Please go on

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Murali has set a total that won’t be beaten in a hurry, but when Trueman reached 300 Richie Benaud said it would never happen again in the history of Test Cricket. It took only eleven years.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
1. Murali
2. Warne
3. Hadlee
4. Lillee
5. Trueman
6. Walsh
7. Dev
8. Botham
9. Gibbs

cricketsavant

U19 12th Man
Nine men have held the record for the most wickets in Test Cricket in the last 50 years. (Just means they've held the record in that time, not taken all their wickets).

1.Lillee
2.Trueman
3.Hadlee
4.Murali
5.Warne
6.Walsh
7.Botham
8.Dev
9.Gibbs

I tend to rate the truly great pace men just ahead of the truly great spinners.
Each to their own, including not caring or not having to.
Good idea for a list, bit surprised the great wazza man didn't hold the highest number of wickets tally, then I remembered Hadlee had come and gone. And McGrath either?

So my list:

1. Murali (finest spinner of em all)
2. Warne
3. Lillee
4. Hadlee
5. Walsh
6. Trueman
7. Botham
8. Gibbs
9. Dev

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Murali
Hadlee
Warne
Trueman
Lillee
Walsh
Botham
Dev
Gibbs

Top of the list especially feel very arbitrary to choose between.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hadlee
Warne
Murali
Lillee
Trueman
Walsh
Kapil
Gibbs
Botham

Botham a bit too hard to place. Amazing peak stats but absolutely putrid second half of his career, and unlike all the other pacers here, his bowling just looks tepid from the eye test. That shouldn't necessarily matter for an objective ranking it also lines up with the belief a lot of people had that he bowled a lot of filth that picked up wickets somehow.

Last edited:

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Wa
Good idea for a list, bit surprised the great wazza man didn't hold the highest number of wickets tally, then I remembered Hadlee had come and gone. And McGrath either?

So my list:

1. Murali (finest spinner of em all)
2. Warne
3. Lillee
4. Hadlee
5. Walsh
6. Trueman
7. Botham
8. Gibbs
9. Dev
Walsh above Trueman? Interesting.
Trueman is arguably greatest bowler ever.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Hadlee
Warne
Murali
Lillee
Trueman
Walsh
Kapil
Gibbs
Botham

Botham a bit too hard to place. Amazing peak stats but absolutely putrid second half of his career, and unlike all the other pacers here, his bowling just looks tepid from the eye test. That shouldn't necessarily matter for an objective ranking it also lines up with the belief a lot of people had that he bowled a lot of filth that picked up wickets somehow.
Botham is one of the greatest cricketers of all time. A few people on Cricketweb, or anywhere else, constantly attempting to rubbish him doesn’t change that.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
1. Murali
2. Hadlee
3. Warne
4. Trueman
5. Lillee
6. Walsh
7. Dev
8. Botham
9. Gibbs