• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rank and rate these test openers of last 25 years

RK_123

School Boy/Girl Captain
Gary Kirsten
Saed Anwar
Justin Langer
Matthew Hayden
Virender Sehwag
Graeme Smith
Alastair Cook
David Warner

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Gayle falls in bracket below these blokes with guys like Strauss and Dilshan.

kingkallis

International Coach
Graeme Smith
Matthew Hayden
Alastair Cook
Virender Sehwag
David Warner
Gary Kirsten
Saeed Anwar
Justin Langer

TheJediBrah

Gary Kirsten
Saed Anwar
Justin Langer
Matthew Hayden
Virender Sehwag
Graeme Smith
Alastair Cook
David Warner
Cook
Hayden
Warner
Smith
Langer
Sehwag
Anwar
Kirsten

Also of note: Simon Katich. He was probably just as good as Langer/Anwar/Kirsten when he played as opener. Just didn't do it as long.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Cook
Hayden
Warner
Smith
Langer
Sehwag
Anwar
Kirsten

Also of note: Simon Katich. He was probably just as good as Langer/Anwar/Kirsten when he played as opener. Just didn't do it as long.

Loved Katich. A draft favorite of mine here at CW..

I like both KK's and OS's lists. But let me try -

Graeme Smith
Gary Kirsten
Virender Sehwag
Alastair Cook
Saeed Anwar
Matthew Hayden
Justin Langer
David Warner

TheJediBrah

I probably ranked Warner a bit high, needs to improve his overseas record. He's sitting about neck & neck with Sehwag and can get past him with some bigger away scores.

Not rating Hayden ahead of Anwar/Kirsten etc. is criminal

vcs

I probably ranked Warner a bit high, needs to improve his overseas record. He's sitting about neck & neck with Sehwag and can get past him with some bigger away scores.

Not rating Hayden ahead of Anwar/Kirsten etc. is criminal
Agree with that. People seem to have forgotten just how scary good he was between 2001 and 2003-ish.