• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ramnarine retires!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
At the age of just 28, Dinanath Ramnarine today announced his retirement from international cricket. In his letter of resignation, Ramnarine, who has been inactive at international level for 21 months, claimed that his lack of selection has driven him to the decision.

I haven't gotten hold of the actual letter yet, but from what I've heard on the news I paraphrase from his letter of resignation:

'On the last tour I played, the then captain, after a dispute, stated to me that I would never again play for the West Indies team as long as he was captain.'

Note that the captain at the time was Carl Hooper.

It's a shame and a loss to West Indies cricket especially considering that a muppet such as Nagamootoo was so persisted with ahead of the clear class option of Ramnarine.

12 Tests
45 wickets @ 30.73
SR 77.6
Econ 2.37
BB 5/78

4 ODI's
3 wickets @ 54.66
SR 66.6
Econ 4.92
BB 2/52

Salamuddin

International Debutant
The captain's different now.

Why didn't Dinesh Anand Ramnarayan continue playing first class and see what gives ?

Craig

World Traveller
That is a shame.

Without knowing the facts of the falling out, I reckon it was down to insularity or Island-mainland bias (afterall Guyana isnt an Island), being Hooper is Guyenese and so is Nagamootoo so he would probably favour Nagamootoo. The only good thing about him is that he can bat, but when your uncles are Alvin Kallicharran and the great Rohan Kanhai so you expect to have some batting genes in there.

I dont know such a problem existing under Brain Lara.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Thats a shame , I had a lot of time for him.

Certainly a better bet than Nagamootoo in both forms of the game.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Sad but expected it since he was not getting selected. Sad to see the politics ending his career.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Craig said:
That is a shame.

Without knowing the facts of the falling out, I reckon it was down to insularity or Island-mainland bias (afterall Guyana isnt an Island), being Hooper is Guyenese and so is Nagamootoo so he would probably favour Nagamootoo. The only good thing about him is that he can bat, but when your uncles are Alvin Kallicharran and the great Rohan Kanhai so you expect to have some batting genes in there.

I dont know such a problem existing under Brain Lara.
AFAIK Lara had no problem with him, but he was recovering from injury/struggling for top form when Lara took over and you couldn't justify his selection over an inform Banks. I think that his retirement was more on principle because he wrote something to the effect that he was sure that the selectors would not be perterbed by a trivial thing such as a disagreement between the captain and him... he was wrong. He's probably lost his faith in the selectors.

Langeveldt

Soutie
yeh a great pity, IMO he was the best spinner the West Indies have had to offer in the last couple of years.... Clearly better than Nagamootoo...

Mr Mxyzptlk

In his letter of resignation, Ramnarine stated, "When, during my last overseas tour, the then capatin, after a minor, trivial disagreement off the field, announced that as long as he was captain I will never play for the West Indies, I shrugged my shoulders as I felt confident that such petty conduct would not prevail".

He continued, "Indeed, I thought the intervention of the selectors would have circumvented such insanity. Or is it inanity? But I have been told and now I know, that the older you get the more you learn".

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I agree with everyone that this is a shame and West Indies have lost easily their best spinner.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
yes its a shame to lose someone so early... certainly better than nagamooto.. is he retiring from fc and od aswell?

Currently C.Gayle is the top spinner for W.I :D

ODI

Bat avg : 40
Bowl avg : 28.66 , 74 wickets , s.r 37.9 :O :O

thats pretty good stuff !

Mr Mxyzptlk

He's actually only stated his retirement from FC cricket but he's talked about pursuing other interests, so I assume that he will opt out of OD's too.