• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rakheem Cornwall

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Yep, I'd absolutely pick him. Bishoo has been poor recently (cue him ripping us apart in the upcoming tests) so you can't even use "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" as a reason to keep him out. Keep pushing him to lose more weight by all means, but if he's match fit it's his time imo.

Only potential issue is that CWI often has financial problems, so the likely increase in food costs could well become a problem.
surely there's a possibility for dual gain here, call him up and only provide diet food?

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Bring him in. If I recall correctly, Inzamam lost weight before the 2003 WC and then went on to have a horrid WC.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I mean, why not? Handy with the ball, smacks them ****ing miles and looks a competitor.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Plus the added advantage that edges that would normally fly between the keeper and first slip will just bounce off him for an easy rebound catch instead
This evoked quite a bit of laughter from me. Yes, as long as he provides much more value with his batting and bowling for the value that he loses his fielding, he should be in the team.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
I do ask myself whether he would be the same player without the bulk. I suppose there is no logical reason why if he was three stone lighter he shouldn't be just as a good a cricketer, but I can't help wondering.
Have also been trying, without success, to think of someone who was a talented chunker, and then lost all the weight - any offers?
Inzy lost some real weight ahead of the 03 WC and came a cropper.. vaguely remember him blaming the weight loss for his poor performance.

cnerd123

likes this
He obviously should be playing if his skills are up to it. Fitness is great but runs and wickets are more important. Plus 'cricket fit' is a real thing. The question I have is why hasn't he lost the weight?

Sometimes unfit cricketers are unfit because they are lazy. They don't want to do the hard yards in training, and they can get away with it because they put in good performances on the field. If that's the case here, then perhaps the concern is that he'll bring this lack of discipline into training sessions and be a negative influence on the rest of the team. And even if he can get away with it, other members of the squad may not be able to, and his presence in the team might lead to the team performing poorer as a whole.

Sometimes the reluctance to get on a diet and shed some weight is tied into a lack of desire. Players don't do it because they aren't fully committed to cricket, and their other commitments (or their ego) means they won't do something that that they deem unnecessary just to prove to coaches/selectors that they really want to play at a higher level.

If Rakheem falls into either of those categories, then I can see where the selectors are coming from. I'd still disagree with snubbing him, but not as much as I would if it was simply a case of 'we don't pick fat guys'.

Daemon

He's been told to lose weight and he has

The exact figures I don't know, but just visually he does seem to have shed a bit. You can't expect him to train his cricket skills, play all forms of the game and simultaneously go on a biggest loser regime.

loterry1994

International Debutant
Only a team like windies would have him in there side. His got talent though if he was fit he could legit be a top all rounder.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
That and our propensity not to give spinners a run in the side to build their confidence.

SillyCowCorner1

I'm afraid to say it...but I don't feel comfortable having him in the side. His fitness is a big worry...and long-term he will be a liabilty.

Shady Slim

International Coach
i've said this before but as long as he's cricket fit then it doesn't matter if he's actually fit - it appears that @cnerd123 beat me to that point in 2019 in this very thread however. he's better than warrican, who sucks, and that's what matters when it comes to selection - who is the best cricketer?

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
I'm afraid to say it...but I don't feel comfortable having him in the side. His fitness is a big worry...and long-term he will be a liabilty.
Yeah he cost us quite a lot in the last test. You could see he is in a different league from Warrican and when he was fit he caused lots of problems, dismissed Kohli straight away etc. But it is borderline unaceptable when Josh has to throw off his gloves and run to the boundary instead of Rakheem if it goes through first slip. Is Rakheem good enough at international level to justify that level of largesse?! When Moti is fit I would argue no. If Moti is injured I don;t think we have much choice.

Shri

Mr. Glass
i would love for his off spin to give me heart attacks when he bowls but i am mostly worried about his heart when he plays

this is not a fat joke or an insult i am genuinely worried seeing him play

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah, look ultimately his health and well-being is the priority. :( I hope he figures out a way that can help him play at least long form cricket without threatening his own health. He is ridiculously talented for sure.