• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rachin -The Kiwi wonderkid

thierry henry

International Coach
Massive thing in lower grades with player umpires is the stereotype of Indian teams never giving anyone out. As if us whiteys aren't doing the same thing too. Like I know I don't need to explain to y'all that racism is bad but ugh, it's infuriating.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Cricket's very culturally ingrained in Australia. Lots of people claim to hate it but people kind of know what's going in on the home Tests to an extent even if they don't like watching it, especially if it's against India or England. Football codes are bigger but cricket dominates the summer psyche.

Participation is absolutely tanking though.
That's sad. Really? As in youth participation?

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Massive thing in lower grades with player umpires is the stereotype of Indian teams never giving anyone out. As if us whiteys aren't doing the same thing too. Like I know I don't need to explain to y'all that racism is bad but ugh, it's infuriating.
Yeah there's so much hypocrisy and racism in lower grade club cricket I had to quit over it. There was a huge argument between someone every match

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Numbers in primary school and beginners level cricket (soft ball, modified rules, batting in pairs etc.) took off after the 2015 CWC. That cohort of kids (if retained through into hard ball) will be going into High School about now or in the next couple of years.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Numbers in primary school and beginners level cricket (soft ball, modified rules, batting in pairs etc.) took off after the 2015 CWC. That cohort of kids (if retained through into hard ball) will be going into High School about now or in the next couple of years.
Overall numbers are way down from 2010 as well - they've collapsed from about 105,000 to 68,000. And I haven't heard any actual evidence suggesting there's an imminent wave of secondary school cricketers coming through.

Before I sound too doom and gloom, most sports in NZ face a similar problem. Rugby participation has collapsed quite substantially over the past decade (though obviously from a much higher base). It's only really social sports like volley ball and indoor soccer that are making any ground (queue kippax grumbling about pampered Gen Zers being unwilling to participate in any physical activity that takes place outdoors). Oh and basketball of course.

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Overall numbers are way down from 2010 as well - they've collapsed from about 105,000 to 68,000. And I haven't heard any actual evidence suggesting there's an imminent wave of secondary school cricketers.
A lot of them might've quit when they realised hitting 6s isn't as easy as McCullum made it look in that tournament. And even some pretty talented sporty kids can struggle with learning to bowl or even batting 'properly'.

Meridio

International Regular
As mentioned by Bahnz though it's a bit of a global phenomenon, participation in team sports has dropped significantly in recent years. In contrast numbers doing individual exercise, running, gyms etc has increased. Cue handwavy explanation of people these days being selfish and unwilling to commit to a team because it might disrupt their ability to do things for themselves

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
As mentioned by Bahnz though it's a bit of a global phenomenon, participation in team sports has dropped significantly in recent years. In contrast numbers doing individual exercise, running, gyms etc has increased. Cue handwavy explanation of people these days being selfish and unwilling to commit to a team because it might disrupt their ability to do things for themselves
Also in general, people's lives becoming more atomised and having fewer friends/relationships. What a wonderful/horrible time to be alive.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Fewer people going/planning to go into a career as a professional sportsperson is probably a good thing, overall.

Not sure how much that has to do with amateur participation.

But in general australian and nz culture has placed way too much emphasis on sport.

Meridio

International Regular
Also in general, people's lives becoming more atomised and having fewer friends/relationships. What a wonderful/horrible time to be alive.
Thing is of course team sports are one of the best ways to meet people and make friends. Though admittedly it can be hard with certain sports cultures, and some clubs are classic old boys clubs and notoriously hard to break into as an outsider

bill8164

School Boy/Girl Captain
Thing is of course team sports are one of the best ways to meet people and make friends. Though admittedly it can be hard with certain sports cultures, and some clubs are classic old boys clubs and notoriously hard to break into as an outsider
Can completely agree with this in Auckland, a few years ago, I wanted to join a cricket club as a real beginner, who hadn't played much cricket before but was eager to try. Gave up trying as I didn't get much of a response.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Honestly I think it might be a rich/poor thing.

Amount of uni students I know who go to the gym but also work a lot of hours outside of study. I'd be surprised if they had regular fixed free time for organised sports, but squeeze in going to the gym where they can.

Anecdotal evidence of course. We had one student transfer from Auckland to Dunedin simply because rent is cheaper there and he'd work less and have more time to pursue his rugby aspirations.

Meridio

International Regular
Fewer people going/planning to go into a career as a professional sportsperson is probably a good thing, overall.

Not sure how much that has to do with amateur participation.

But in general australian and nz culture has placed way too much emphasis on sport.
Yeah I agree with this in general and in recent years have really come around to the idea that top level sport doesn't really matter and has far too much importance placed on it, but community sport is incredibly important and has an enormous role to play in society in lots of different ways. I was a bit facetious in the post above about individual exercise but certainly one of the appeals of it that I always hear from those people who do it is that they can do it when they want. No regular Thursday trainings, Saturday games etc, nothing to commit to. Which I think probably does say something about modern society and all that but I cbf writing a long post about it, I'm still pretending to be at work.

I do think NZ culture places way too much emphasis on sport too, though paradoxically one of the things I like about NZ is that we play sport. But the downside of it is other kinds of achievements tend to get shoved to the side

Meridio

International Regular
Can completely agree with this in Auckland, a few years ago, I wanted to join a cricket club as a real beginner, who hadn't played much cricket before but was eager to try. Gave up trying as I didn't get much of a response.
Yep, similarly I came back to NZ after years overseas (where I did play), went to trainings and played a few games for a club when I got back here. Nobody was the slightest bit interested and after a few weeks I decided I had better things to do. It's very common in New Zealand I think. The difference between them and my sports clubs in London is just night and day.

Meridio

International Regular

Amount of uni students I know who go to the gym but also work a lot of hours outside of study. I'd be surprised if they had regular fixed free time for organised sports, but squeeze in going to the gym where they can.

Anecdotal evidence of course. We had one student transfer from Auckland to Dunedin simply because rent is cheaper there and he'd work less and have more time to pursue his rugby aspirations.
Yes also anecdotally I've heard similar. And team sports have become extremely expensive too.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member

Much less travel time to lectures, the gym, practices etc. too