• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Quality control voting thread

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
Group A: KingKallis and Nintendo
Group B: AnkitJ and Stephen
Group C: Fuller Pilch and Pothas

Think some of the voting shows how close things are between the sides and think the nature of the draft meant every team had some 'weak' picks but these are the sides with the best combination of quality and balance in my view

JOJOXI

What are people's views on Bairstow? For me Bairstow is an extremely hard player to judge - at his best showed his quality and whilst there is only one calendar year he has averaged over 34.31 he did play almost a quarter of his Test matches in that year (2016) averaging 58.80. He does average almost 38 batting at 6 or lower as opposed to 28.56 at 5 or higher but I think for me its hard to completely ignore recency bias and maybe I will see him in a better light at the end of his career?

Bairstow seems to be unique in that he's come up in a few drafts I've been in and is one of, if not the only active cricketer I can think of that isn't currently in their Test teams preferred XI so its hard to really compare him to anyone as you tend to be either comparing him with players with completed careers who perhaps are seen in a better light or with better players in this generation. Intrigued how he is perceived in a few years time as a weak England top order often batting (and collapsing) in probing conditions probably doesn't help Bairstow either.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Selecting Bairstow in a draft shows a lack of respect for wicket keeping as a discipline.

JOJOXI

I don't dislike Bairstow massively as a keeper - certainly there are better keepers then him and he's a good example of keepers being seen differently where they are no longer keepers, who, if they can bat very well its a bonus but batsman-keepers where at times it seems batting is more important then keeping. But I do think he improved as a keeper and can see why he'd be a keeper-batsman if his batting was deemed good enough - that's the part I wonder - he's probably shown a higher ceiling then some of the other players in his bracket but he's also been in really poor form for some sections of his career - if he is seen as a decent option at 6 I don't mind him keeping too much as I'm not wholly against him as a keeper anyway but if he is seen as a sub-par pick at 6 he definitely isn't making that up with his keeping.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
We must continue counting. Or stop the counting. And maybe cut off any voters past the last vote for me, and before the first vote for me because my opponents are obviously cheating on this election. Pothas, HonestBharani and Line and Length are obviously fake voters committing electoral fraud.
Make Drafts Great Again.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Group A winners: kingkallis (15 votes) and Nintendo (10 votes)

Group B winners: ankitj (8 votes) and Stephen (8 votes) and JOJOXI (8 votes) with Ataraxia on 7!

Group C winners: Fuller Pilch(10 votes) and mr_mister (8 votes) with Teuton and Pothas on 7!

Group A was a blowout but as we can see Group B and C were super close. B is so close we couldn't even keep it to a top 2.

So 7 will advance to the final which will run like a regular vote. From these 7 teams vote for your top 3 and hopefully we can nab a clear winner!

kingkallis:

Len Hutton /
Graham Gooch /
Frank Worrell / o (c)
Martin Crowe /
Frank Woolley / o
Ian Botham / o
Ian Healy + /
Bruce Yardley o /
Dennis Lillee o
Bill O'Reilly o
Jeff Thomson o