• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Predict National Side 2011

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah i'm not convinced about his one-day game but reckon he's a quality bat in the longer form
He'll need a big season next season. Unfortunately for him he's a middle order batsman, and thats like the only kind of batsman we ever get.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Freaky as hell. Visit cricket web in the longest time ever and the most recent thread in cricket chat is one started by yours truly! :-O

Don't really have anything else relevant to offer, as Pakistan cricket's scheduling has been pretty terrible and my interest has waned quite a bit but I must say I nearly **** my pants when I saw this.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Middlesex and highly rated. Last summer on Sky I watched him bowl against Pakistan for the U-19s and was impressed. He is very, very tall and showed good control and bounce. Didn't see him get much movement, and whilst he was quick he wasn't lightning (bowled around 80-84 mph IIRC) but he is still only 19 so I think his pace will improve naturally as he gets stronger and bulks up. He has already played quite a bit for Middlesex and has a decent record considering his age.

Surprised you haven't heard of him actually. He is one always brought up when it comes to England players for the future, both on this forum and in the media. Bob Willis for one is always banging on about him!
I must've seen Middlesex about 3 or 4 times this year on telly too. I struggle to believe he missed out every time, so obviously I wasn't unduly impressed with him in the shorter form for him to register.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I must've seen Middlesex about 3 or 4 times this year on telly too. I struggle to believe he missed out every time, so obviously I wasn't unduly impressed with him in the shorter form for him to register.
He's not a one-day regular, and quite rightly so. Only very rarely will it benefit young bowlers to play one-day cricket.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This Aussie side that i am predicting is the one i think would be the most likely combination just after 2011 WC:

Australia Odi XI:
1.Shaun Marsh
2.Luke Ronchi (WK)
3.Shane Watson
4.Michael Clarke (C)
5.George Bailey
6.Luke Pomersbach
7.Moises Henriques
8.Mitchell Johnson
9.S.Tait
10.B.Hilfenhaus
11.Nathan Bracken
12.Some Spinner

Aussie Test XI:
1.P.Jaques
2.Shaun Marsh
3.Ricky Ponting (C) ---------> playing in his last season
4.Mike Hussey --------------> playing in his last season
5.Michael Clarke
6.Shane Watson
7.Brad Haddin (WK)
8.Some Spinner, maybe Casson
9.Brett Lee
10.Ben Hilfenhaus
11.Doug Bollinger/ Mitchell Johnson/ Shaun Tait
12.Adam Voges
Pomersbach was dropped last summer. Can't see Moey making the step up to ODI's. Marsh won't play Tests opening. Hilfenhaus has trouble, Bollinger, Tait, Johnson & Noffke are likely to offer more.

bryce

International Regular
NZ
1.How/Watling
2.Guptill
3.Taylor
4.Ryder
5.Broom/Flynn/Fulton/Hay/Todd(hmmm...)
6.Oram
7.McCullum+
8.Vettori*
9.Franklin
10.Southee
11.Boult

I have a feeling Elliott and O'Brien might not fall away so easy, the opposite could be said for both Oram and Vettori(track record of injuries)
Pretty stoked with these predictions over a year later. Maybe could add Williamson to the number 5 list(definately not based on this season though, lol)

Broom > Fulton > The Rest.

Gonna keep hyping Broom up. He's a gun of the highest order.
Like this one too. Broom is guna make it just a matter of when

Last edited:

morgieb

From my POV:

1. Hughes
2. Watson
3. Katich
4. Clarke
5. Ponting
6. Hussey
7. Haddin
8. Johnson
9. Hauritz
10. Siddle/Hilfenhaus
11. Bollinger

Yeah, I know it's only a year to go, but meh. :p

morgieb

IMO
1. Jaques
2. Rogers
3. Katich
4. Clarke
5. D Hussey
6. Watson
7. Haddin
8. Noffke
9. McGain
10. Johnson
11. Bollinger
Hmmm. Tap my self on the back for the Bollinger call, but massive failures on McGain, Noffke, D Hussey and Rogers. And it looks like Jaques's back has crippled his career. :ph34r:

And the chances of M Hussey and Ponting being there have seemingly increased. Suprised I missed Hughes.

Howsie

International Captain
Broom > Fulton > The Rest.

Gonna keep hyping Broom up. He's a gun of the highest order.
This guy knows his stuff :cool:

Must say the predictions for the New Zealand team were all pretty much spot on, except for the hilarious Dave Houpapa call.

bryce

International Regular
Lol, i'll never forget Martin Crowe screaming out - "Houpapa has gone oupapa!" I bet the commentary box was fairly silent after that lmao

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cook*
Godleman
Bopara
Pietersen
Denly
Collingwood
Rashid
Davies+
Broad
Harris
Anderson

Obviously a bit of a shot in the dark, but there you go that's as fair guess as any. I do think that the Pietersen captaincy will have ended by 2011, not necessarily in disgrace either. In recent times England have been exceptionally unusual in long stints from their skippers recently (Vaughan, Atherton and Hussain all captained at least 45 tests),
:laugh: Well you were half right I suppose...

This is a great demonstration of how quickly things can change though, looking through these predicted England sides I don't think any of them has Swann (not surpsing) or Strauss. Now they are along with KP the first names in on the sheet.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Interesting to see no one picked Hauritz for Aus or Swann for England; fully expect both to be playing on come next year. Nufan got it bang on with Watson opening at least.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Time to check how far off we were. This should be fun. Especially considering I haven't watched much cricket in the last 2+ years. :wacko:

Pakistan Test
Salman Butt - omitted from squad
Yasir Hameed - omitted from squad
Younis Khan* - got one, but was complete lols as captain
Bazid Khan - fallen of the face of the planet
Faisal Iqbal - misplaced his career, still trying to find it
Shoaib Malik - omitted from squad, should be back though
Shahid Afridi/Sohail Tanvir - Afridi omitted, but he has a habit of popping back up; Tanvir is in the squad, on the fringes of selection
Sarfraz Ahmed+ - only picked for one Test so far, but still young
Umar Gul - what a gun:cool:, needs to improve in Tests though
Danish Kaneria - omitted from squad, kind of a disappointment
Mohammad Asif - omitted, probably serving some sort of ban:ph34r:
And their 11 for the first Test against New Zealand:
Mohammad Hafeez - decent bat, but we could probably do better
Taufeeq Umar - solid opener by Pakistani standards, should keep his opening spot
Azhar Ali - don't know anything about the kid, seems to be doing pretty well so far
Younis Khan - still got quite some years left methinks
Misbah-ul-Haq* - his rise to captaincy took be by surprise, okay Test batsman I guess
Asad Shafiq - one of those picked out of the nets by Imran Khan types, never heard of him
Adnan Akmal† - maybe I should have hedged my bets and just put "Akmal" as wkeeper
Abdur Rehman - I'm suprised by his rise, to say the least
Umar Gul - looks to break all records for Pakistani bowlers, potential is limitless
Tanvir Ahmed - looks a bit of a porker in his cricinfo profile pic, haven't heard of him either
Wahab Riaz - don't know anything about him, although he's also doing pretty well so far

Got 2 of the starting 11. Personally quite pleased with my predictions. :D

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Cook
Strauss
Bell
Pietersen
Denly
Flintoff (optomistic I know)
+ Roll the dice. Could be anyone
Broad
Anderson
Tremlett
Panesar
Impressive to have Broad, Anderson, Tremlett, Strauss and Bell - none of whom were certainties at the time to be in the side atm. Panesar obviously fell out of form and would probably be in the team, atm, if not for the meteoric rise of Swann.

S Finn? :blink: You serious?
It would seem so.

India

V Sehwag
G Gambir
S Badrinath
R Sharma
MS Dhoni (keep and cap)
S Raina
P Kumar
S Anish
P Ojha
I Sharma
S Sreesanth
Oh, such a shame that Badrinath didn't quite make it to the full side - still time left. Not sure if this is Tests or ODIs, but if Tests, curious to see the lack of Laxman, Dravid, Tendulkar, who I'm guessing you thought would have retired. No Harbhajan Singh too, which is interesting.

My prediction for 2011 WC team for India:

V. Sehwag
S. Tendulkar
G. Gambhir
S. Raina
Y. Singh
M. Dhoni
I. Pathan
A. Mishra
H. Singh
S. Sreesanth
I. Sharma

Other probables (according to me): R. Sharma, S. Badrinath, M. Tiwary, P. Chawla, Z. Khan.
Very impressive. Pathan has fallen out of things but that top six may be the actual top six. Ishant will make the squad but hopefully not the starting XI and Chawla has just returned to the ODI fold too. Distinct lack of Praveen, but understandable.

If Broad is in the side in 2011 I reckon he'll be batting no lower than 7, as an all-rounder
I was sure this'd be the case too. He did come on as a bowler far more than I'd expected, too.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Really don't like the way Cook had been decided on so early on as the next captain. I really rate him but he's a batsman right now and that's all he needs to be. Not even sure if he's much cop as a skipper.

It's not worked out great for Clarke.

morgieb

IMO
1. Jaques - wrong, didn't take injuries or Hughes into account.
2. Rogers - wrong
3. Katich - not looking good, and is playing as an opener atm
4. Clarke - correct...for now.
5. D Hussey - wrong
6. Watson - correct, except he's opening....
7. Haddin - correct
8. Noffke - wrong!
9. McGain - wrong!
10. Johnson - for now it's good, but could end up ugly later on....
11. Bollinger - looking out of favour atm, but may well return...
Overall pretty meh.

morgieb

From my POV:

1. Hughes
2. Watson
3. Katich
4. Clarke
5. Ponting
6. Hussey
7. Haddin
8. Johnson
9. Hauritz
10. Siddle/Hilfenhaus
11. Bollinger

Yeah, I know it's only a year to go, but meh. :p
Looking pretty decent, but that was only a year ago ffs!