• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pre-Season

Blaze

Banned
ffs guys, losing to a super league side really does hurt. The pride has taken a bit of a hammering tbh.

Oh well onward and upward from here, we can do it in the NRL boys.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Blaze said:
ffs guys, losing to a super league side really does hurt. The pride has taken a bit of a hammering tbh.
Hmmmmm...sounds more like hugely inflated Oceanian ego than pride to me. :sleep:

Blaze

Banned
steds said:
Hmmmmm...sounds more like hugely inflated Oceanian ego than pride to me. :sleep:
Sorry steds I know you love the super league but the defence at times is atrocious. And the grand final was a joke.

I don't watch a great deal of it so I could just be catching poor games but I can't change my opinion until I see a decent game in your league.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
The improve the standard of the league, they need a top side like us in it, who are better then NRL sides, even if it is just one as average as you guys. But in real life your going to be waiting a while for a good game.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Inaugural Voltman Trophy Final

Final Goes Down To Wire

Two point thriller in Rabat

Code:
 CW Crusaders                    Jamie Lyons Invitational XIII
        1  Neil Pickup                  1  Shaun Briscoe
        2  Gaurav Nayak                 2  Darren Albert
        3  Jamee Gray                   3  Jamie Lyon (C)
        4  Alex Blackman                4  Brent Tate
        5  Andrew Cameron               5  Nathan Blacklock
        6  Sean Fuller                  6  Tommy Martyn
        7  Alex Crampton                7  Chris Thorman
        8  Sean Bennett                 8  Danny Ward
        9  Sriram Gurunathan            9  Micky Higham
        10  Rich Langley                10  FuiFui MoiMoi
        11  Dale Brumby (C)             11  Bryan Fletcher
        12  Thamba Mamesh               12  Vinnie Anderson
        13  Rob Malone                  13  Ellery Hanley
   ++Interchange
        14  Rich Hingston               14  Steve Renouf
        15  Tharmi Longanathan          15  Lee Jewitt
        16  Håkon Mørk                  16  Mark Gleeson
        17  Nath Patrick                17  Phil Clarke
50,000 spectators eagerly packed into "The Goat Herding Ground", Rabat, Morocco (got to do our bit to spread the gospel ;) ) to see a high tempo, fiercely contested and extremely close final.

Tommy Martyn got the game under way with that big boot of his and straight away all the momentum, like the ball and Dads Army following it, flew towards the Crusaders try line. The Crusaders were under pressure for every second of the first ten minutes, not helped when hooker Sriram Gurunathan got himself sin binned for a high shot on FuiFui MoiMoi. The consequent penalty gave JLI a chance to attack the line and Darren Albert took the opportunity to cross for the first points of the game. However, fiery red head Neil Pickup used his pace to grab the game by the scruff of the neck, bursting through to score the Crusaders first try and, 3 tackles after the restart, finding a hole out wide and speeding through it only to be caught by Nathan Blacklock and drop the ball. An exciting, attacking game ensued, and Lyon's Dads Army regained the lead in the 20th minute, when Brent Tate put Briscoe over. Lyon, however, missed the convertion.
The game had a bit of a wait until the next points were scored, but when they were scored, 6 and a half minutes from half time, they gave the CW team a crucial but slender 2 point lead. Jamee Gray made up for a couple of knock-ons by barging his way through South Sydney Rabbitoh Bryan Fletcher and plonking ball down over the try line before slotting the convertion himself.

That was how the score stayed until half time and just a further 48 seconds afterwards, when ex-Wigan and GB forward Phil Clarke regained the lead and Jamie Lyon added the 2. However, Gray turned the magic on again 5 minutes later, but his missed attempt at the convertion left the scores level at 16-16. Shaun Briscoe showed that what Gray can do, he can do better, as the Hull fullback wriggled his way through he smallest of gaps between Langley and Mørk and, despite Pickup's best efforts, crossed to give the Lyons the lead yet again. Yet the game swung yet again on 53 minutes, Cameron ghosting past Albert and steaming over the try line. Gray's boot gave the Crusaders another slender 2 point lead, but a silly penalty allowed Lyon to level the scores.
In the remaining 22 minutes no more tries were scored, as both teams started to tire and lose momentum in attack, whilst staying as solid as ever in defence. A couple of players started to pick up knocks, including Loganathan, Mørk and Renouf. The deadlock was broken with just under 12 minutes left, when the Crusaders gave away another penalty and Jamie Lyon's deadly boot punished them again, but with just 8 minutes to go, Micky Higham decided to pick a fight with Crampton and aswell as coming off worse, found himself sitting out the rest of the game. Gray scored his 4th goal from his 5th attempt and the scores were level again.
So it went into the final 5 minutes. One team would go on to score another penalty to win it. I'm not going to spoil it for you....

Attachments

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
That sucked being injured and missing the Final. Tough loss gusy but sets us up good going into the season.

Buddhmaster

International Captain
Jeez, didn't realise this had all got under way. I'll become more involved now.

Seen some pretty good efforts by the team so far, hoping that can continue. Also happy i've been included in a few games, disapointing I didn't contribute though. Although I prefer playing in the centres, i'm a fairly bulky guy so if we have injuries or something, I can play forward.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Argh, gutted! Great game but, very happy with my line breaks. Let season proper begin...

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Darren Albert wins the Bob-Fardin medal for Man of The Match in the final.
Neil Pickup's 4 Player Of the Match points wins him the James Nixon trophy as player of the tournament.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Quiet final for me, but I think I had a pretty good pre-season overall.

Nice work from the team to make the final as well. :)

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator

Oh well onward and upward from here, we can do it in the NRL boys.
Word up blazzee..

And wtf happend to my goddamn form arrghh.. i was doin much better in that one pre season game we had..

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Pre-Season Stats (CW only):

Most games in starting XIII:

Crusaders
Bennett
Gurunathan
Langley
Brumby
Mamesh all 5

Scorpions
Dela Cruz
Fitzsimmons both 4

Most games as Interchange:

Hingston (Crusaders) 4

Most tries:

Rose, Gray (Crusaders) and Currie (Scorpions) 2
Fifteen players scored one try, nine for Crusaders and six for Scorpions

Most goals:

Gray (Crusaders) 15
Dobson (Scorpions) 8
Fuller (Crusaders) 5

Most penalties:

Gray (Crusaders) 7

Most points:

Gray (Crusaders) 38
Dobson (Scorpions) 16
Fuller (Crusaders) 14
Currie (Scorpions) 10
Rose (Crusaders) 8

Most Player of the Match Points:

Pickup (Crusaders) 4
Gurunathan, Langley (Crusaders), Currie, Butler, Dobson (Scorpions) all 3

Team Stats:

Matches played: Crusaders 5 (3W 2L), Scorpions 4 (1W 3L)
Penalties: Crusaders 50 conceded, 39 gained (10-7.8 per match) - Scorpions 53 conceded, 35 gained (13.25-8.75 per match)
Possession: Crusaders 50 %, Scorpions 47 %
Time in Other Half: Crusaders 50 %, Scorpions 48 %
Handling Errors: Crusaders 68 (13.6 per match), Scorpions 52 (13 per match)
Tackles: Crusaders 1175 (235 per match), Scorpions 950 (237.5 per match)
Tries: Crusaders 16 (3.2 per match), Scorpions 10 (2.5 per match)
Goals: Crusaders 20 (4 per match), Scorpions 9 (2.25 per match)
Points record: Crusaders 104.82, Scorpions 58-70

Last edited: