• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Potential Shocks - Who will cause the Biggest Upset?

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Ok, lets thrash it out here and now, which fixtures are the most likely to bring about a shock result?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well i'm 100% sure no shocks will happen in the group stage. But the biggest shock that could happen is Australia just could be eliminated in the super eight stage with them going into the WC a bit unsettle. But deep down i don't think it will happen.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
At a stretch Bangladesh might beat India, Pakistan could possibly (and suspiciously) lose to Ireland in their last group game.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I love the way that people persist in blundering on about 100% certainty. There is absolutely nothing like it. If England can turn things round like this week, if Bangladesh can beat Australiam if I can come in to bat with 18 needed off 5 balls and get up there... posts like that set you up for abuse and are brain-dead in the highest degree.

If Ireland beat Zimbabwe is it a shock?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I love the way that people persist in blundering on about 100% certainty. There is absolutely nothing like it. If England can turn things round like this week, if Bangladesh can beat Australiam if I can come in to bat with 18 needed off 5 balls and get up there... posts like that set you up for abuse and are brain-dead in the highest degree.

If Ireland beat Zimbabwe is it a shock?
We all know cricket is a game of glorious uncertainties, but based on how the groups are structured i just can't see a major shock happening in the group stages at least. As Scaly mentioned maybe Bangladesh could pull a fast one in group C, but i'd say its unlikely since having the top 8 sides in the second round only makes for better cricket, i'm sure you don't want a repeat of the last WC where Kenya & Zimbabwe got for & South Africa, West Indies & Pakistan went out early.

If Ireland beat Zimbabwe that won't be total shock IMO since ZIM have been poor while Ireland seem to be coming along well as a cricket nation.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As Scaly mentioned maybe Bangladesh could pull a fast one in group C, but i'd say its unlikely since having the top 8 sides in the second round only makes for better cricket
That logic is seriously nonsensical. It's unlikely because the top 8 sides make for better cricket? How does that make sense? What does the top 8 sides being preferable in the second round have to do with the likelihood of Bangladesh beating India?
i'm sure you don't want a repeat of the last WC where Kenya & Zimbabwe got for & South Africa, West Indies & Pakistan went out early.
If a minnow does well enough to make the second round, much respect. In football, I supported the likes of Senegal furiously, then last year I supported Australia. The only way these teams get better is by doing well against the best teams and a good performance in the World Cup is certainly a huge step in the right direction.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
That logic is seriously nonsensical. It's unlikely because the top 8 sides make for better cricket? How does that make sense? What does the top 8 sides being preferable in the second round have to do with the likelihood of Bangladesh beating India?.
Thats not what i was trying to say BTW, sorry if i wasn't clear they are two different points.

If a minnow does well enough to make the second round, much respect. In football, I supported the likes of Senegal furiously, then last year I supported Australia. The only way these teams get better is by doing well against the best teams and a good performance in the World Cup is certainly a huge step in the right direction.
Well in the last WC that wasn't the case both Zimbabwe & Kenya were helped by the fact that teams didn't want to go to those countries & play & were alloted free points. Lets say England had gone to Zimbabwe & NZ to Kenya & won neither would have qualified even though Kenya had managed to shock Sri Lanka.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well in the last WC that wasn't the case both Zimbabwe & Kenya were helped by the fact that teams didn't want to go to those countries & play & were alloted free points. Lets say England had gone to Zimbabwe & NZ to Kenya & won neither would have qualified even though Kenya had managed to shock Sri Lanka.
But look what they did once they got there, to the round where only the worthy/best teams should be. Kenya earned their passage to the semi-final round by beating Sri Lanka in a fantastic showing. It should have been a great thing for Kenyan cricket, but largely due to mentalities like yours, it wasn't. No ratings, no interest. And it's one of the big reasons hindering the development of cricket in minnow countries. No one cares to see them playing the big boys.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
But look what they did once they got there, to the round where only the worthy/best teams should be. Kenya earned their passage to the semi-final round by beating Sri Lanka in a fantastic showing.

I would say getting free points from NZ helped them even more since wihout those points they could not have qualified to the second round.

It should have been a great thing for Kenyan cricket, but largely due to mentalities like yours, it wasn't. No ratings, no interest. And it's one of the big reasons hindering the development of cricket in minnow countries. No one cares to see them playing the big boys.
What are you trying to say?. Of course i care about the development of cricket i'm as big a cricket fan as you are likely to see. All i'm saying here is i want a really competitive WC this time, with all the top nations having a equal chance in the second round of tring to stop Australia from making it 3 in a row, since i got relatives in Trinidad during the last WC who reckoned if the windies hadn't lost points vs Bangladesh they could caused the aussies an upset (although i wrote that claim off), maybe South Africans & Pakistan felt the same way. Minnows like Kenya can get a chance to exposed againts the major nations in other little tours etc, not in the biggest cricket tournament in the world for me.

Plus overall i don't see the big fuss with the ICC i trying to promote the game to countries who don't have a clue about cricket. Unlike football its a hard game to understand & really get interested in unless your country plays the game, i.e the USA. For me cricket can survive pretty well with the current crop of nations.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
I have a feeling Australia are going to flop at this world cup...

Whether they go out in the Super 8's or the semis, im not sure but i think they will really struggle...

Hopefully im proven wrong but i just have a real bad feeling about it...

Evermind

International Debutant
I wouldn't be surprised if Bangladesh beat India, to be honest. Someone used the term "pea-sized heart" some time ago, with reference to Shane Bond? I wouldn't use it on him, certainly, but I'd use it for the Indian team.