• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pool C - New Zealand, Italy, Portugal, Romania, Scotland

cbuts

International Debutant
What a load of bollocks. The ABs got to the final in 1995 because of the style of rugby they were playing, and because of selections like Josh Kronfeld and Andrew Mehrtens and, of course, Jonah Lomu.
Who do you think did most of the coaching in 95? it wasnt Mains.
the three best All Black teams of the last 20 years, 87'88, 95'96'97, 04'05'06'07, there has been one constant. Lochore

cbuts

International Debutant
Haha, worst post. I take it you don't actually remember much about the 1995 World Cup? To complete ignore the fact that we had Kronfield, Lomu and Merhtens all playing very, very good football is a large oversight on your behalf.
Of course i didnt forget them. But doesnt matter how good a player you are, if you dont have the off field sorter, your not giong to perform
Apart from 1995 and one year at the Cats, name me anything good Mains has done

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Of course i didnt forget them. But doesnt matter how good a player you are, if you dont have the off field sorter, your not giong to perform
I'm too young to remember sorry, and he hasn't done too much in the years since I've really followed my rugby.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Who do you think did most of the coaching in 95? it wasnt Mains.
the three best All Black teams of the last 20 years, 87'88, 95'96'97, 04'05'06'07, there has been one constant. Lochore
Except for the years 1988, 1996 and 1997, when he wasn't involved. Why are you making years up?

- Turned Otago from an absolute mess to a NPC-winning side in 1991
- won a Lions series in 1993
- won a one-test series in South Africa in 1992
- got the Highlanders to the semis in 2002.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Yes. Wylie was coach with Lane Penn (I think) and Earle Kirton the selectors and assistant coaches.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
South Africa a very serious contender for the World Cup, and IMO second favourites after the All Blacks. Although reports from Europe suggest there is lot of well known expert opinions suggesting SA are favourites ahead of NZ even at the moment...Any comments ..

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
South Africa a very serious contender for the World Cup, and IMO second favourites after the All Blacks. Although reports from Europe suggest there is lot of well known expert opinions suggesting SA are favourites ahead of NZ even at the moment...Any comments ..
I think they'll win it TBH.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I think South Africa's recent rise is most definitely worrying New Zealanders BUT that is only based on Super 14 form as I don't believe their performances against a massively weak English side should be used to base their form on. Tri Nations will give a better indication but then again New Zealand blitzed both South Africa and Australia in the 2003 tournament before falling away in the semis of the World Cup. New Zealand still favourites and South Africa definite second favourites IMO.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
There is the political issue with South Africa which could potentially blow apart their chances if the ANC get their claws in.

cbuts

International Debutant
Yep, two and a half seasons of an unbeaten record in tests....
with an inherited team, look what happened once he left hsi mark on them...

All im saying is that i think Lochore is the best Coach we ever had, combined with henry Hansen and Smith we're set.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
with an inherited team, look what happened once he left hsi mark on them...

All im saying is that i think Lochore is the best Coach we ever had, combined with henry Hansen and Smith we're set.
Fred Allen is the best coach we've ever had, but I agree that everything Lochore touches turns to gold. Mind you, it wasn't Wyllie's fault that the All Blacks started to decline in 1990. That was the era of the Auckland Rugby Union "white anting" controversy, which led to Buck being axed and Hart co-coaching the '91 World Cup squad.

And Mains lucked onto the '95 World Cup squad. That was an amazing fluke.

ripper868

International Coach
There is the political issue with South Africa which could potentially blow apart their chances if the ANC get their claws in.
thats the whole changing every national team to the protea isnt it? Go the TEA'S, doesnt work as well as go the boks IMO