• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pool A - Australia, England, Wales, Fiji, Uruguay

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
In fairness it would have been a tough kick, and they completely ****ed up the lineout and made it far too easy for Wales to push them over the touchline.
Yeah but the way he'd been kicking you'd have backed him to make it

Certainly makes for an entertaining evening next Saturday

As i said I don't watch much rugby but other than the last ten I thought it was a great game tonight.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Superb game of rugby.

I feel like Wales might have kamikaze-d this a bit. Can't see them getting far with a scrum like that and everyone injured.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Also, Falatau was excellent.

Both those kickers were great to watch. Such beautiful timing on their kicks.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Also, Falatau was excellent.

This will be a very specific compliment but he is probably the best in the world at picking the ball up and coming off the back of the scrum.

Often he did it today when his team was going backwards.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
This will be a very specific compliment but he is probably the best in the world at picking the ball up and coming off the back of the scrum.

Often he did it today when his team was going backwards.
Yeah, Wales were seconds away from conceding a penalty at the end there. It was terrific stuff.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I don't know if Wales can win the whole world cup with Warburton in the team mind you. He got red carded in 2011 and in this game guess who gave up the final penalty to England. It was a blatant error by him as well.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I don't know if Wales can win the whole world cup with Warburton in the team mind you. He got red carded in 2011 and in this game guess who gave up the final penalty to England. It was a blatant error by him as well.
thought he was unlucky and the ref got this one wrong.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
thought he was unlucky and the ref got this one wrong.
Then lets agree to disagree

You must make an extravagant and OTT motion with you arms to show you are releasing the tackled player before pursuing the ball. I didn't see any attempt to show a release motion with his arms and then I saw him go straight in over the ball. The penalty was explicitly for not releasing and the commentators had no issue with it.

dermo

International Vice-Captain
quality game for the tension, though there wasn't a heap of enterprising rugby played

the tactics of the english front row at scrum time however are a ****ing farce second only to the ref allowing them to continue. joe marler was often at a right angle to the rest of the scrum, it was unbelievable the ref didnt ping him for it.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
@Dermo

In addition the first penalty of the night went against the Welsh at scrum time. The English prop collapsed and didn't retain his feet. Somehow Wales got penalised.

Whether it was by fair or foul means that scrum gave them significant dominance and had it not been for Falatau rescuing them time after time then Wales would have been obliterated.

dermo

International Vice-Captain
@Dermo

In addition the first penalty of the night went against the Welsh at scrum time. The English prop collapsed and didn't retain his feet. Somehow Wales got penalised.

Whether it was by fair or foul means that scrum gave them significant dominance and had it not been for Falatau rescuing them time after time then Wales would have been obliterated.
I couldn't believe it when that first penalty went against wales, scrum penalties can be a bit of a lottery at the best of times but that was ridiculous.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I didn't notice that boring in on the side. Surely the captain should have communicated that to the referee.

91Jmay

International Coach
Superb from Wales, full credit to them with their injuries. We gave it away hugely in last 15 minutes though, Ben youngs being taken off was a total joke from SL, he was running the game.
Disagree above about Marler, he was boring in because Jenkins (who should have gone to bin after 3rd penalty in 15 minutes) was being overpowered. Marler was superb, as was our set piece on the whole before last few minutes. I thought kicking to corner was right decision though, just execution let us down.

91Jmay

International Coach
The scrum will be fine in this group, neither Wales/Aus have a dominant set piece. We picked backrowers who are far to similar. Having the best 7 in Europe last two years watching the WC from France really rankles as well.
Hate being right...

Scrum was great, and we got monstered at the breakdown. Steffan Armitage should be our number 7, best in Europe.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Hate being right...

Scrum was great, and we got monstered at the breakdown. Steffan Armitage should be our number 7, best in Europe.
I didn't really notice Robshaw in the match but have much respect for him. He is in the top 5 7s in the world.

ripper868

International Coach
Feel Tom Wood is still lucky to be in the tournament after that kick to William's head. Accidental maybe but completely reckless. I do note he has since apologised to Williams and fair dos to him for that, but you see guys get binned and red carded for reckless play and this didn't even result in a penalty. All in all, looking forward to the Pooper knocking England out of their own world cup on Saturday.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I dont even believe you believe that. Hardie struggle to crack top 5, possibly even top 10 European opensides.
Unless the Lions pick an openside as captain he will start the tests in 2017. The bloke is almost as good as Sam Cane,
Matt Todd and Ardie Savea (ie the equal of Pocock and Hooper) and if nit for injuries 2- years ago probably would've been an All Black. In NZ the best rugby players play at no 7 - it is the elite, premier position, and our depth there is better than the West Indies depth in fast bowlers in the 80s.