• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ponting The Captain

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ind33d he was - and I'd thought he was in the ODI leg of the tour by Australia that followed it but actually he'd stepped down by then and Dhoni was captain.

Last edited:

Precambrian

Banned
If a captain is thinking that he can contain and get out batsmen like Virender Sehwag by having 5 people on the boundary from Over 1, then that qualifies as crock**** imho. What was shocking was that he didn't learn from India's 4+ run rate in the first innings, and allowed them to score at a better run rate in the next innings.

Haivng said that, the good thing abt Ponting is that captaincy has rarely affected his individual performances. In fact, it has made him all the more prolific. It's a fantastic thing to have a captain who walks the talk with his performances.

However, more often than not, I've seen Ponting lack a Plan B, a reluctance to think out of preset tactics formulated in the Australian War Room, and becomes defensive all too often. His real test has started ever since McG and Warney took the bow, and I think the coming SA series will really show where he stands in the World's pecking order.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Ind33d he was - and in the ODI leg of the Australia tour that followed it.
I'm fairly certain Dravid didn't play in that series - wasn't that the start of the changing of the guard from the Ganguly/Dravid era to the Dhoni era, as far as India's ODI side is concerned?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well Dravid certainly played that series because I remember him being promoted to three and being trapped lbw instantly by Lee in this match, but yes, somehow I'd forgotten that Dhoni had already take the ODI captaincy by then. :wacko:

Dravid stepped down after the England tour, of course.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Getting the ODI series in India and the CB Series mixed up.

Thought you were referring to the CB series, hence my comment about Dravid not playing.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I'm fairly certain Dravid didn't play in that series - wasn't that the start of the changing of the guard from the Ganguly/Dravid era to the Dhoni era, as far as India's ODI side is concerned?
I think Dravid played the first few games of that series, and was dropped for the last couple of games.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Getting the ODI series in India and the CB Series mixed up.

Thought you were referring to the CB series, hence my comment about Dravid not playing.
No no, meant the ODI leg of the tour for which the Test leg is taking place as of this post.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
No no, meant the ODI leg of the tour for which the Test leg is taking place as of this post.
Yeah, got that from the scorecard you linked.

Just when you referred to the "Australia tour" I assumed you meant India's last tour of Australia.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, got that from the scorecard you linked.

Just when you referred to the "Australia tour" I assumed you meant India's last tour of Australia.
"Tour by Australia" would probably have been a less confusing description (and the post now reads such a thing).

Athlai

Not Terrible
Will be interesting to see who are the top captains from this generation. Captains these days are so often the teams best player or right at the top anyway.

NZ = Vettori
Eng = KP
Aus= Ponting
SA= Smith
SL= Jayawardene
Bang= Ashraful

How will history look at these guys legacies? Never been too fond of Smith as captain, KP and Vettori will be looking to make their mark in coming years. Ashraful seems kind of dire as captain, and Jayawardene in my books is the top established captain.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
By the way, how many people think it might be a good idea for Hussey to take over the number three spot and for Ponting to come in at number four ?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
By the way, how many people think it might be a good idea for Hussey to take over the number three spot and for Ponting to come in at number four ?
Hmm. They've both done exceedingly well at 3 and 4 respectively for a long time. Also Hussey is the stronger against the Indian spinners, and whoever comes in at 4 will have to start their innings against them.

It could work. Why exactly would you try it though?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Hmm. They've both done exceedingly well at 3 and 4 respectively for a long time. Also Hussey is the stronger against the Indian spinners, and whoever comes in at 4 will have to start their innings against them.

It could work. Why exactly would you try it though?
I was not thinking of this series but more long term really. Although in India he seems to be more roubled by the pacers than spinners :)

Its just a thought. Nothing concrete. I would like to see if Hussey at number three will give us some big double hundreds for one. Also, maybe, Australia today needs less of strokeplay and more solidity at number three with the openers not the force they were.

As I said, just a thought :)

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I was not thinking of this series but more long term really. Although in India he seems to be more roubled by the pacers than spinners :)

Its just a thought. Nothing concrete. I would like to see if Hussey at number three will give us some big double hundreds for one. Also, maybe, Australia today needs less of strokeplay and more solidity at number three with the openers not the force they were.

As I said, just a thought :)
Hmm, i don't think the trouble with pace is a long-term thing. Sharma just seems to pull one out of the bag to Ponting every time.

Would be very interesting indeed to see how things changed, but i think it's an unnecessary risk ITBT.