• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Polly Gone :( , Next captain?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Smith has experience leading South Africa 'A' and Western Province, but yeah, he was the one who whinged about Australia's sledging so for me that puts a big question mark over his mental strength.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I guess so with Lee Germon but he had about 4 or 5 years experience with Canterbury and was captaining players like Cairns, McMillan, Harris, Fleming etc

Fleming was probably more in-experienced, he had played for about 2 years and in 1995 they made him captain.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i guess they could be looking for some stability, Smith will realistically be there at least another 10 years, form and injury not taken into account. They will have 2 world cups under hi, and maybe they are looking at the big picture.

krkode

State Captain
Well as you can read from Pollock's statement, the South African captain, since Cronje's exit has never had much power.

So maybe, Smith won't have much "power" either and he'll be constantly advised by his senior partners....

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
well at least smith will get the chance to establish himself and will hopefully learn alot from Gibbs, Kallis and Boucher and could well skipper RSA for 15 years

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Thats looking on the bright side of things, if Smith fails then South Africa will really have to dig themselves out of a shambles.