• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pollard Wicket - Is it Deliberate or unintentional?

cnerd123

likes this
Goddamit I got to get to these threads before Daemon does

Looks intentional IMO. Doesn't matter anyways. Catch was taken and he's out. If Bumrah had dropped it id have considered charging Pollard for obstructing the field. Absolutely no need for that movement.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Non issue. Pollard looked like he was dazed and confused before realising he was in the wrong place at the last second. He had already given up and was walking off. It just goes to show how far India's fielding has improved that he didn't stand his ground, back in the crease, expecting it to be dropped.

If Bumrah had dropped it, he would still have had plenty of time to run Pollard out.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Any batsmen playing a shot like that would walk back to the pavilion with drooping shoulders.

Now this begs the question to be asked (a hypothetical). If the ball straight up in the air, and Pollard stood his ground, the ball then follows a trajectory that would land on the batsmen's head, would Bumrah push him away in order to get room to catch the ball?

Burgey

I’m sure he would push him because he’s a ****. Then Pollard would belt him and it would be on.

However as I understand it Pollsrd would be well within his rights to stand perfectly still and wouldn’t be out obstructing the field if he did so.

SillyCowCorner1

I’m sure he would push him because he’s a ****. Then Pollard would belt him and it would be on.

However as I understand it Pollsrd would be well within his rights to stand perfectly still and wouldn’t be out obstructing the field if he did so.
Well within his rights yeah.

CW's resident umpire, ***** to confirm...

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
If he stood perfectly still and blocked a catch as a result he would be obstructing the field. It's common sense. The ball is in the air, everyone can see it, and you can see a fielder trying to get under it. No reason to stand your ground outside of wanting to block the catch. It's intentional, and it's cut and dry.

You all need to read the law:
https://www.lords.org/mcc/laws-of-cricket/laws/law-37-obstructing-the-field/
Why does law 37.4 still exist. You still have to get consent to throw the ball back to the fielder/bowler even if there's no threat on your wicket? This #metoo movement is out of control.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Why does law 37.4 still exist. You still have to get consent to throw the ball back to the fielder/bowler even if there's no threat on your wicket? This #metoo movement is out of control.
Clarity.... otherwise what constitutes if it will/will not threaten the wickets? Clear line in sand, don't touch the ****ing ball without permission.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I never understood batsmen who threw the ball back to the opposition. Make the bastards move.

Spikey

it's an unintentional action but obstructing the field doesn't have to be an intentional action does it? if you carelessly obstruct the fielder you're still obstructing the field. it's not like Pollard has top edged it into his helmet and is stumbling all over the place, he's just walking around with no regard to those around him, and if in his wandering he had prevented a wicket taking opportunity, he should be given out

Last edited:

Spikey

Although I suppose that's applying a logical thought process whereas in the written rules there does appear to be something of a loophole for reckless behaviour

srbhkshk

International Captain
It is unintentional, but so is getting clean bowled. Should be given out if Bumrah had dropped that.