• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Poll-Who is the best upcoming player?

Who is the best upcoming player?

• Total voters

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I'd hardly call Hussey up and coming. He's been churning out runs in English country cricket for years and years, and nobody ever called him up.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've voted for Shariar Nafees, not because he is the best "upcoming" player, but for the side that he plays in, I think he could have a major role to play in their future and be one of the rocks of the Bangladeshi batting order.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hussey's not really an 'up & comer' he's been around for decades.

I think Bravo has the most potential of those listed (discounting Hussey).

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I wouldn't call Dhoni, Asif, Hussey or Pietersen "upcoming". They are regulars for their sides in both forms of the game and won't be dropped any time soon. Well, except Dhoni perhaps, but he's been around for a while too.

From the others, I think Johnson stands out among the bowlers, and Bell among the batsmen, if he still counts as up and coming. Among the all-rounders, it's tough to pick between Bravo and Watson right now, as both have been very impressive recently. Watson has probably been getting more results in ODI cricket, while Bravo's done more in tests.

Last edited:

C_C

International Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
I wouldn't call Dhoni, Asif, Hussey or Pietersen "upcoming". They are regulars for their sides in both forms of the game and won't be dropped any time soon. Well, except Dhoni perhaps, but he's been around for a while too.

From the others, I think Johnson stands out among the bowlers, and Bell among the batsmen, if he still counts as up and coming. Among the all-rounders, it's tough to pick between Bravo and Watson right now, as both have been very impressive recently. Watson has probably been getting more results in ODI cricket, while Bravo's done more in tests.

I dont agree completely, faiip.
These guys dont have much experience under the belt and if they were to have 10 outings where they bollox up, all their averages would nosedive/skyrocket to woeful levels. They are integral today,i admit,because all of them have come with a strong start. But they are still newbies and can all be gone by the end of the world cup if they all suddenly start emulating Sami or Dwayne Smith.

And Watson vs Bravo is hardly a contest currently.
Bravo plays in a weaker team and has done quite well in tests-Watto-err.what tests ?
In ODIs, both their bowling is very similar. Both are newbies and the only thing Watto has is 'i bat better in ODIs'. Bravo's counter is 'i am equal in ODI bowling, have a good test record in both batting and bowling (as allrounder)while you dont!mwahaha'.
And Bravo wins. :cool:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
FaaipDeOiad said:

Asif has played 6 tests. That's up and coming in anyone's language, no matter how good he is and how solid his position is in the Pak team.

Its only one more test than an Ashes series.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
Asif has played 6 tests. That's up and coming in anyone's language, no matter how good he is and how solid his position is in the Pak team.

Its only one more test than an Ashes series.
If you consider him up and coming, he's certainly the best of that list, but I don't consider him that simply because he's already established. I view the question as "which of these players who is not yet established at international level is the most promising", I guess. Just a matter of interpretation.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
And Watson vs Bravo is hardly a contest currently.
Bravo plays in a weaker team and has done quite well in tests-Watto-err.what tests ?
In ODIs, both their bowling is very similar. Both are newbies and the only thing Watto has is 'i bat better in ODIs'. Bravo's counter is 'i am equal in ODI bowling, have a good test record in both batting and bowling (as allrounder)while you dont!mwahaha'.
And Bravo wins. :cool:
As I said, Bravo's certainly done far more in tests, given that he's got runs and wickets in that form of the game and Watson has played two matches. Watson will probably get his chance in that form this summer, but it's no contest at the moment.

Watson's really come a long way in ODIs in the last 12 months, and gone from being more or less a liability that was selected because of potential to being a very useful player. Indeed, he averages around 40 with the bat and 20 with the ball in ODIs in the last 12 months, compared to around 30 with the bat and nearly 40 with the ball beforehand. He was probably lucky to get some of those wickets during the last Australian summer, but since his last injury he has been bowling genuinely well in ODIs.

Bravo's a good death over bowler, but he's had a pretty shocking time of it with the bat recently, and like Watson he struggles for consistency. You'd have to say that Watson's outperformed him in recent times, but really we're talking about potential, and both players have shown plenty of that and could go a long way.