• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players better/much better in international cricket than domestic

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Big Marnie was averaging like mid-30's when he got a Test callup, and even today his Test record is miles ahead of his FC one (non-Tests = 41.18, Tests = 60.80)

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
Big Marnie was averaging like mid-30's when he got a Test callup, and even today his Test record is miles ahead of his FC one (non-Tests = 41.18, Tests = 60.80)
Wow that does surprise me, I mostly know him for piling on runs for Glamorgan so assumed his non-Test average would be higher but guess at 26 he'd have been playing a fair bit of FC cricket before that Glamorgan stint

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Always thought the level of improvement from Marnus has been long overstated by many both here and elsewhere. Yeah his FC numbers weren't brilliant overall, but he was second on the Shield runs list the season before his maiden callup in the UAE, wasn't the left field selection many have implied he was.

Pitch conditions also worth taking note off, the Gabba was generally green AF domestically around then. Any wicket where Luke Feldman's 120kph donkey drops can look threatening on is obviously not easy to bat on

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Eddie Paynter is a prime example for this thread.
Good first-class average of 42.26 but at Test level averaged 59.23. Played 20 tests, should have played more.
Reckon a few of these are the result of sample size statistics, and the Test stats would have normalized over a longer time.
For thread: Adam Voges
Mike Hussey after 20 Tests would have been a great example too. Pretty sure he was averaging nearly 80 after 20 Tests

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Think Kenny Barrington must be close to having the biggest difference over a longish period.

45.63 in FC games isn't shabby at all, but pales next to 58.67 from 82 tests.

Obviously the difference would be even more marked if the tests were removed from his FC figure.
Sangakaara averages 46.5 in FCC (drops to 39 if his County figures are reduced) and averages 57.4 in tests. That is a very good indicator of **** pitches FCC played on in SL.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
My feeling is that this is typically batsmen rather than bowlers. And if it is a bowler, it is a spin bowler.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Paul Reiffel is a good opposite of the thread.

Batting
test 26.52
fc 24.76
dif 1.76

odi 13.97
list a 14.00
dif .03

Bowling
test 26.96
fc 26.40
dif .56

odi 29.20
list a 31.04
dif 1.84

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Reckon a few of these are the result of sample size statistics, and the Test stats would have normalized over a longer time.
For thread: Adam Voges
Mike Hussey after 20 Tests would have been a great example too. Pretty sure he was averaging nearly 80 after 20 Tests
From his debut in 1931 through to 1937 Paynter played 9 tests for 405 runs @ 36.81. Fortunately he played his other 11 tests in what appears to be a wonderful purple patch before WWII with 1135 runs @ 75.66

Chewie

Don't imagine there'll be many NZers who apply for this thread.
I actually think there'd be a decent number, most NZers don't play much domestic cricket once they become a regular in the national side so their domestic record doesn't reflect their improvement over the years

For example, Kane averages 54.11 in tests and 45.39 in other FC games

nzfan

I think Trescothick was averaging like 32 or something like that before he was picked for England. Rest is history of course.

Shady Slim

International Coach
the elephant in the room here is for most modern bats at least guys who get picked averaging, say 37, will hit their straps and their peaks in the test arena and don't play first class while they're on international duty; i think the real anomalies are those guys from back when the international guys played in the shield et al too (as they should)