• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Player of the Month: February

twctopcat

International Regular
Check the sig to see who i think should get it, and flavour of the month he isn't, he's going to be around for a long time :D .

Rich2001

International Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
or Lee for silencing his critics with an awesome VB series and good start against New Zealand.
The VB Series was in January wasn't it?

cbuts said:
peitersien, is a bit like clarke. just a new kid on the block. give it a series or two and he will come back down to earth
It doesn't make a difference if he can maintain it or not the fact is he played well in this particular month and only this month, if he has a poor series v Bangladesh he simply wont win the May award.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
why should someone new get it ahead of someone who is older simply because they have done it before, does it somehow lessen McGraths achievements

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes.
McGrath has done nothing special, he's just done what we know he can do.
Pietersen has never before had the chance to do what he's done.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Whenever McGrath performs well its special. hes a once in a lifetime player, the fact that pieterson is new to the scene shouldn't really have anything to do with it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why not?
McGrath is a special ODI bowler, we all know that, we've known it for God-knows-how-long (no offence scripted) - so him bowling exceedingly well in ODIs is not something that's any news to us.
And it's new stuff that always makes most impression on the human mind.

Rich2001

International Captain
age_master said:
the fact that pieterson is new to the scene shouldn't really have anything to do with it.
I agree with you here Andrew, the fact his new shouldn't be a factor really. It should be performance based only. We know what McGrath can do, but at the end of the day if he has bowled the best in Feb then so be it and he should win.

The major problem here is how do you compare a batsman to a bowler both in their own fields both have performed outstandingly but how do you cmpare 450 runs @ 150 to (I don't know the excate figures so making them up) 16 wickets @ 15.

I would personally pick KP as IMO he has had the more consistant performances ( 3 100's and a 50) over the month where McGrath has had a couple of really good spells he took what 5/27 and 4/16? that was pretty much his main contruibutions.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Because with McGrath it's expected, and so has less impact on the world's cricketing conciousness. Simple.

It's not "wow, this McGrath guy's a bit good isn't he", it's just "and McGrath's done it again..."

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Rich2001 said:
Ok that's pretty good, but he did go @ 6 an over in Christchurch so kinda runins it :p

SR of 21 though which is still good

but your right an average of 8.4 with er or 3.46 is pretty crap

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
No Age, wickets don't mean anything in ODI's, economy rate is the only thing that matters!!! ;)

I'd go for Pietersen purely because of the lack of support he had - I believe he scored about as many runs in the series as the top 4 combined.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
I'd go for Pietersen purely because of the lack of support he had - I believe he scored about as many runs in the series as the top 4 combined.
Trescothick - 7 matches, 99 runs
Vaughan - 6 matches, 159 runs
Solanki - 4 matches, 90 runs
Jones - 7 matches, 139 runs
Bell - 4 matches, 26 runs

England top order - 28 matches, 513 runs

Pieterson - 7 matches, 454 runs

So effectively the top four played four times the number of innings for just 59 more runs. Highlights his incredible performances.

cricket player

International Debutant
all rounder of the month

shahid afridi
jacque kallis
shaun pollock

batsman of the month
pieterson
marshal

fielder of the month

shahid afridi
andrew symonds
cairns

fast bowler of the month
mcgrath
bret lee
shoiab akhtar

off spiner of the month
victoria

leg spinner of the month
shane warne
shahid afridi

Blaze

Banned
cricket player said:
all rounder of the month

shahid afridi
jacque kallis
shaun pollock

batsman of the month
pieterson
marshal

fielder of the month

shahid afridi
andrew symonds
cairns

fast bowler of the month
mcgrath
bret lee
shoiab akhtar

off spiner of the month
victoria

leg spinner of the month
shane warne
shahid afridi
What have most of these players done so special in Feburary?