• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Phil Hughes - Five Years On

howardj

International Coach
Important to remember today's anniversary of a promising, young international cricketer passing away on the field of play in a FC game

He embodied the future.

He was young, had a flourishing back lift, and was on the verge of a Test recall.

Forever young.

One of the good things to emerge from this horrible day was the extra protection on the back of helmets

Vale, Phil Hughes.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
RIP to a legend

I'm so confident he would have eventually cracked test cricket properly. Too talented not too and was only 25 after all

Still so sad

BoyBrumby

Englishman
****ing sucks, eh. Poor wee bugger. I can't believe it's been five years already.

I've kept my avatar as a kind of permanent tribute. Vale Phil.

andmark

International Captain
This was one of the first deaths of a sportsperson which really got to me. I remember being woken to the news of it and immediately knowing it was going to be one of the biggest tragedies and incidents in the history of the sport. It became sadder when Richie Benaud did the speech over that video at a memorial service (I think) for Hughes in one of his last public appearances (for lack of a better word) with Benaud's typical class. The two deaths are rather intertwined for me in that regard. RIP.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Took me two days to open this thread because I still don't like to think about it. Feel guilty whenever I watch 09 Ashes highlights.

I was alone a long way from home when this happened so that probably played a part, but like so many on here his death just shook me up something rotten.

I love the Anglo-Oz cricket rivalry, its one of the best things in sport, but within it there's a deep level of respect and understanding. Felt like we'd lost one of our own.

Sorry for the ramble. Can't believe it's been five years poor fella, such a tragedy.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I remember watching what had happened while I was at work that day and then sitting at my desk for quite a while trying to take in what I'd seen. It looked so awful and, of course, the news became worse over the following days. A tragedy for his family and the cricketing community, and a reminder of how quickly things can change through something as simple as bad luck.