• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Perverse Delight thread

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Obviously The Arse winning 2-0 at Anfield in 1989 was a source of pure, untrammelled joy to my teenaged self, but what makes it particularly sweet was Steve McMahon's infamous "one minute" finger signal to his teammates before Mickey Thomas's coup de grace.

Liverpool has some wonderful players in that team (Rush, Aldridge, Barnes & Beardsley was a heck of an attack) but McMahon wasn't one of them & really wasn't popular with opposing fans; he was (to be charitable) a kinda bankrupt dementia-sufferer's Roy Keane with all of the aggression and about 10% of the talent.

Good times.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Germany being knocked out of the last WC by South Korea. I know there's nothing especially dislikeable about that German side, but some of us have long memories.
In 1982 otoh, there was plenty to dislike about the West German side, so Italy's comfortable win in the final was an immense relief.

Scotland getting stuffed by Peru in their first game of the 1978 WC after all the bs from their manager leading up to the tournament.

Shady Slim

International Coach
was great to see the patriots get topped by the titans in the wild card earlier on this year but it was pretty easy to see coming so probably not as satisfying as it could be - the ravens getting topped by the titans, while also quite predictable, was also a lot of fun, because, er, steeler gang and all that

staying up all hours to see croatia knock off england was also brilliant - i'm not a soccer guy but going to the Croatian Club in punchbowl to watch the world cup final at one in the morning with five hundred other wogs was absolute gold, one of my favourite memories as a spectator even if the good guys couldn't get it done. any time the parramatta eels lose is also just *chef's kiss*, and even though i called their being dunked on by melbourne, was great to watch after their supporters got really hyped after they toweled the broncos the week prior

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
A man in a corner bar in Martin Place once told me that Parra were the rightful premiers after finding out about the cheating scandal with the Storm.

Inclined to agree with him tbh. Bought me a few brews.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Germany being knocked out of the last WC by South Korea. I know there's nothing especially dislikeable about that German side, but some of us have long memories.
Yeah I had nothing at all against that German side but it was just magnificent, it was the last goal that really made it.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
The 2010-2011 Lakers being swept out of the playoffs by Dirk's Dallas Mavericks just came to mind. I remember how over the course of the regular season ESPN's pundits liked singing the song 'I don't see anyone beating them four times' after every one of the few losses they suffered. They took it for granted that Kobe and co would defend their title at a canter

cpr

International Coach
I'm gonna throw one against my own team here.

When I used to work behind the bar I grew an intense hatred of footie fans. Absolute ****s who'd come in once a week and proceed to treat the staff like ****, stay all night getting smashed singing footie songs that no one joined in on, then disappeared until the next sky game. Absolutely killed the joy of watching footie for me, and I don't think it's come back anywhere near the level I had for it before. We barred so many of them for being utter muppets, because their 10 pints on a Sunday was something we could afford to lose, but there were so many of them....

So that Aguero goal......

I'm facing down the volt side of the pub, full of fat men in replica shirts, 90% of which I'd quite happily punch by this point of the season. We turn over at full time, everyone celebrating the title as City are losing, only to see the City players celebrating like they've won the league. Cue about a minute of the pub jeering the sad bluenose b*ds for cheering an equaliser that does nothing, only for the score to flash up and the realisation to hit in.

To see a bunch of middle age men actually start to cry was ****ing beautiful. If I was a City fan i'd never have got out of their alive, and I wouldn't have cared

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Obviously The Arse winning 2-0 at Anfield in 1989 was a source of pure, untrammelled joy to my teenaged self, but what makes it particularly sweet was Steve McMahon's infamous "one minute" finger signal to his teammates before Mickey Thomas's coup de grace.

Liverpool has some wonderful players in that team (Rush, Aldridge, Barnes & Beardsley was a heck of an attack) but McMahon wasn't one of them & really wasn't popular with opposing fans; he was (to be charitable) a kinda bankrupt dementia-sufferer's Roy Keane with all of the aggression and about 10% of the talent.

Good times.
I'm gonna throw one against my own team here.

When I used to work behind the bar I grew an intense hatred of footie fans. Absolute ****s who'd come in once a week and proceed to treat the staff like ****, stay all night getting smashed singing footie songs that no one joined in on, then disappeared until the next sky game. Absolutely killed the joy of watching footie for me, and I don't think it's come back anywhere near the level I had for it before. We barred so many of them for being utter muppets, because their 10 pints on a Sunday was something we could afford to lose, but there were so many of them....

So that Aguero goal......

I'm facing down the volt side of the pub, full of fat men in replica shirts, 90% of which I'd quite happily punch by this point of the season. We turn over at full time, everyone celebrating the title as City are losing, only to see the City players celebrating like they've won the league. Cue about a minute of the pub jeering the sad bluenose b*ds for cheering an equaliser that does nothing, only for the score to flash up and the realisation to hit in.

To see a bunch of middle age men actually start to cry was ****ing beautiful. If I was a City fan i'd never have got out of their alive, and I wouldn't have cared

ITV4 showed the Liverpool/Arsenal match yesterday and I had a quiet afternoon so I watched it. Immediate thought were how bad the pitch was on 26th May and how ordinary much of the football was. It was actually being shown live, which was rare at the time, because the match had been postponed post Hillsborough. Being on ITV it may have had a bigger viewing figure than Man City on Sky, but I digress. The question that came to mind was which of the two goals quoted above is the most astonishing finish to a top flight season?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
ITV4 showed the Liverpool/Arsenal match yesterday and I had a quiet afternoon so I watched it. Immediate thought were how bad the pitch was on 26th May and how ordinary much of the football was. It was actually being shown live, which was rare at the time, because the match had been postponed post Hillsborough. Being on ITV it may have had a bigger viewing figure than Man City on Sky, but I digress. The question that came to mind was which of the two goals quoted above is the most astonishing finish to a top flight season?
I'm obviously biased, but I genuinely think a 1st v 2nd denouement decided in the last minute has to be the biggest jaw dropper.

With Citeh/United the latter had done all they could and it was always in the Citizens' hands regardless of what their nearest and dearest did.

I mean Citeh at home to the R's is a banker 9/10, notwithstanding arseing it up as it looked like they'd done would've been the Cityest moment ever.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I thought Manure’s failure the year Blackburn won it was funnier. Plenty of innuendo during the week about Liverpool rolling over and the Kop supporting Blackburn.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can’t wait for Liverpool’s only title in 30 odd years to forever have an asterisk next to it. Couldn’t happen to a better club.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Any time Sebastian Vettel encounters problems and then blows up about it on team radio, never gets old hearing him spit the dummy bigtime