• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Peakiest Peaks

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah Clarke had by far the biggest peak I've seen, except perhaps MoYo who had that period of 12 months where he averaged 100.

But Clarke was on another level in 2012. Belting out double hundreds for fun.

adub

International Captain
Yeah Clarke had by far the biggest peak I've seen, except perhaps MoYo who had that period of 12 months where he averaged 100.

But Clarke was on another level in 2012. Belting out double hundreds for fun.
From his 151 at Cape Town until his ton for Hughesy (36 tests) he scored just under 3500 @ 59, with 13 tons (7 of which were >150) and only 6 50s (4 of which were 70+ or not out). Just ridiculous. You could get him early, but once he got to about 40 it was too late. He was just on another level entirely once he got going.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I suspect Sehwag went through a similar period where he had a ridiculous conversion rate and almost all his hundreds were 150+. Let me check if I can statsguru.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
His runs used to come so fast that it often helped us win matches that we otherwise would have had no way of winning, on flat tracks with the meh bowling attack of that period.

Daemon

From his 151 at Cape Town until his ton for Hughesy (36 tests) he scored just under 3500 @ 59, with 13 tons (7 of which were >150) and only 6 50s (4 of which were 70+ or not out). Just ridiculous. You could get him early, but once he got to about 40 it was too late. He was just on another level entirely once he got going.
Crazy that Clarke's peak is basically still < Smith's career lol

Smith in the last 5 years - 4686@72

adub

International Captain
Crazy that Clarke's peak is basically still < Smith's career lol

Smith in the last 5 years - 4686@72
Smith doesn't get out cheaply as often. Clarke's conversion of anything over 50 into way huge though was stupidly good.

Don't get me wrong Smith's a better bat by a long way, but those 2012 double and triple hundreds from Clarke were brutal poetry.

Gob

International Coach
Smith doesn't get out cheaply as often. Clarke's conversion of anything over 50 into way huge though was stupidly good.

Don't get me wrong Smith's a better bat by a long way, but those 2012 double and triple hundreds from Clarke were brutal poetry.
Really?

Dunno man still feel like Clarke is the master and Smith is the apprentice

adub

International Captain
Really?

Dunno man still feel like Clarke is the master and Smith is the apprentice
In terms of just pure treating the bowlers like they were there for nothing other than to support the creation of his masterpiece then sure God-mode Clarke was something else. Lara and Viv probably the only other two in my lifetime in the same class.

But Smitteh when he gets going is no slouch obviously with shots all round and in terms of a guy who is gonna make runs even if he isn't in god-mode then Smitteh every day. Kind of a weird distorted Waugh/Clarke hybrid beast.

OverratedSanity

Tendulkar's second peak post 2007 was one of the most satisfying things I've ever watched as an Indian fan. After being written off by loads of people at various times in 03-06, he didn't just get back in form, he became the no.1 batsman in the world again (17 years after he first got there, which is absolutely insane), all culminating in the team's rise to no.1 and the WC win.

The upturn in form probably started on the 07 England tour, but this was probably his best stretch during that period : 2800 runs@72 with 12 tons, averaged 80 vs Aus, 77 vs a SA team with Steyn at his absolute peak.

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

OverratedSanity

Also bitchslapped renowned Aussie cheat Ponting and put an end to their hundreds/runs race in that period. So good.

vcs

Tendulkar's second peak post 2007 was one of the most satisfying things I've ever watched as an Indian fan. After being written off by loads of people at various times in 03-06, he didn't just get back in form, he became the no.1 batsman in the world again (17 years after he first got there, which is absolutely insane), all culminating in the team's rise to no.1 and the WC win.

The upturn in form probably started on the 07 England tour, but this was probably his best stretch during that period : 2800 runs@72 with 12 tons, averaged 80 vs Aus, 77 vs a SA team with Steyn at his absolute peak.

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo
Was he ranked No. 1 in '93 (assuming he became No. 1 in 2010)? That's surprising, I'd have thought he would have got there in the late '90s.

OverratedSanity

Was he ranked No. 1 in '93 (assuming he became No. 1 in 2010)? That's surprising, I'd have thought he would have got there in the late '90s.
1994.Got bck to no.1 in 2010 but stayed there till early 2011 I think.

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Andy Flower's ridic 2 year peak from Nov '99 to Nov '01

20 tests, 2280 runs, 7 tons and 12 fifties at an average of 91.20

I feel like despite all this he still goes under the radar a lot

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Yeah Sehwag converted 11 consecutive 100s into 150s or something crazy like that in 2008-10
Pretty much right: he had a 6 year run (Dec 2003-Dec 2009) in which he scored 13 hundreds (in 54 matches): the first 11 were all 150+ (including two 300s and three more 200s); the last two were 131 and 293.
He's still the only batsman since Bradman to reach 250 four times.

Burgey

There aren't many blokes I've watched who, when they're at their best, look like it doesn't matter what's bowled to them. Not talking in terms of overall records, but just the feeling that you can bowl them a ****ing great nut or a piece of **** ball, and in that moment/ innings they'll hit either one for four. They seem to have some ridiculous extra gear no one else does. Blokes like Tendulkar, Ponting, Kallis, Sanga, Gavaskar, TOTAB, TPC - great players with better records, but not quite utterly god-like in the moment like some other blokes.

Since I've been watching, I reckon only (in no order) Clarke, Viv, Lara, Sehwag and KP had that ability when they were right on song. May was well just lob something to them underarm and run, they were so imperious.

Last edited: