• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Peakiest Peaks

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
some interesting ODI ones

Roger Twose across 46 ODIs from Jan 99 to Nov 2000 averaged 56 @ 78 with 1 hundred and 16 fifties

Compared to the first 4 years of his ODI career (and test career) this is pretty damn remarkable in its total contrast. Was beginning to bat so damn well then decided to retire at only 32

Chris Harris played ODI cricket from 90-04, featuring in 250 games. He averaged 29 overall which kinda has him labelled as a bit of an no-rounder. Occasional input with runs while offering tight but harmless bowling with his dibbly dobblies.

But over 4 years, from March '96 to Feb '2000 he averaged 41 @ 73 from 89 matches. It all started with his breakthrough 130 against Aus in a QF in a losing cause. But for the remainder of the 90s he was one of NZ's most reliable LO bats(behind Twose I suppose) despite still seeming a very low key member of the side(him looking like a middle aged dad didnt help his status)

Michael Bevan was once known as the best ODI player in the world, the fact he couldnt make his nation'sTest XI regularly only added to the mystique. At his best, he had a peak of 57 @ 75 from his first 170 games. From his debut in '94 to his final international ton in early '02. This was one of his most memorable rescues, against NZ in the annual tri series. His unbeaten 102 was very similar to his famous unbeaten 76 against WI many years prior, the innings which made his name.

After this final ton maybe he felt like he'd achieved everything he wanted in ODI cricket. His career simmered out a bit after that. Pity he never got another gig in tests

Spark

Global Moderator
What I had in my mind while making the thread, currently Kohli's all format average is about 17 better than the nearest competitors, some of the peaks mentioned like Ponting/Sachin whilst being pretty good performances aren't applicable because there were other batsman averaging just 3-4 runs below these guys.
T20 averages are so meaningless TV broadcasts don't even bother to show them

srbhkshk

International Captain
Well it's just a metric, I think Kohli will probably be significantly ahead of most people even if you used something else to measure T20 performance. Besides I don't think they are meaningless for the top 3-4, maybe below that.

social

Well it's just a metric, I think Kohli will probably be significantly ahead of most people even if you used something else to measure T20 performance. Besides I don't think they are meaningless for the top 3-4, maybe below that.
The only metric that matters is tests

Kohli failed on the biggest stage in a head to head vs Smith and made a fool of himself in the process

Smith is so far ahead that it's not funny and that is coming from someone that prefers to watch Virat bat

mr_mister

It goes Tests >> ODIS >>>>>>>>> T20s

I agree with the sentiment, but ODIs do matter. Especially WC games. 5 match JAMODI series, sure, waste of time I guess.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Nope, it goes, 1 test win against Bangladesh = 30,000 ODI world cups = 96 trillion T20 world cups.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I think Kohli has a good chance of finishing with a legacy like that of Viv Richards when it comes to ridiculous excellence (as opposed to ruthless consistency of Tendulkar) in multiple formats. Has to do more in tests for that.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Will be a bit disappointed if he doesn't come close to threatening Sachin's 100 100s mark TBH. That's absurd, but those are the standards he's setting.

Spark

Global Moderator
I would bet that most cricket fans don't even remember the result of our last T20 series.

Nope, it goes, 1 test win against Bangladesh = 30,000 ODI world cups = 96 trillion T20 world cups.
96 trillion pennies is worth more than one gram of gold, therefore gold > pennies. Because logic.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
The real question is if 96 trillion pennies are worth more than 1 test win.
Your argument about Kohli's awesomeness in multiple formats is valid. Ignore arguments that want to diminish shorter formats. Not going to go anywhere.

Bijed

International Regular
I don't think they're that meaningless though. No real point in being a batsman with a SR of 180 or something if you don't typically hang around enough for it to really count. I know it's a skewed example to suit my argument, but would you rather have a guy who strikes at 135 with an average of 35, or a guy who strikes at 145 with an average of 10? Agree that SRs are generally far more important though (and tbf if you're talking bowlers who can slog a bit, I guess you shouldn't be fretting too much over whether they play long (by T20 standards) innings)

***** agrees

Your argument about Kohli's awesomeness in multiple formats is valid. Ignore arguments that want to diminish shorter formats. Not going to go anywhere.
Yeah, and since srbhkshk is essentially asking about a point of statistical trivia anyway (and I don't mean that to diminish his question), seems a bit off to criticise the question on the basis of how much people personally value the formats against each other.

adub

International Captain
How unpeaky was McGrath though!

His 33T peak average is 1.21 less than his career average, econ rate 0.08 higher, and sr 4.25 below.

Mako was pretty damn consistent too tbf, but not that level. Dude was a ****ing machine.

adub

International Captain
Does it count as a peak if that's just his level?

Relative to how he was outside of his peak, Clarke was ridiculous. Looked one of the most dominant batsmen in modern memory for two or three years, then looked like an octogenarian who had forgotten how to play the bouncer after that.
God mode Clarke made good bowlers look village like very few have ever done. Just made it look ridiculously easy.