• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pavel Florin

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Has he committed a crime? That can be the only reason I can think of.
Travelling to Australia to play cricket for a club whose season ends in March is not the same thing as entering as a tourist for a maximum stay of 3 months.

Is my guess.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I mean it's cool that they called him over for a few games but surely he wasn't going to play the whole season. The novelty would probably get old about 3 overs in.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I mean it's cool that they called him over for a few games but surely he wasn't going to play the whole season. The novelty would probably get old about 3 overs in.
I took 4 on the weekend FFS, if the standard is similar to the league I play in he should be fine.

It isn't exactly Melbourne first grade

thierry henry

International Coach
What grade was he playing?

As bad as his bowling is, when I watched the footage of his wicket in grade cricket I realised he actually bowls a lot like a guy in my team. This guy is a former bowler (although mostly a batsman) in premier cricket too. He isn't as uncoordinated as Florin but basically bowls very slow seam-up off 2 steps and supposedly gets exaggerated slow swing and "dip".

Burgey

He's playing really low grades mate. It doesn't look like grade cricket to me, more park stuff. I'm only saying that based on the physique of the fella he got out and the fielders, mind you. You wouldnt see someone in that nick in a grade club unless they were the 55 year old stalwart who's out of retirement to captain 5th grade and mentor the young blokes.

thierry henry

International Coach
He's playing really low grades mate. It doesn't look like grade cricket to me, more park stuff. I'm only saying that based on the physique of the fella he got out and the fielders, mind you. You wouldnt see someone in that nick in a grade club unless they were the 55 year old stalwart who's out of retirement to captain 5th grade and mentor the young blokes.
Ah right, yeah I sort of knew that "grade cricket" wasn't the right terminology and figured it was a lower level. The lollipop bowling and the bloke missing it reminded me a lot of the grade I play lol

Burgey

Yes it all looked like what I was last playing full time about four years ago when I realised it looked a bit like that footage lol

Teuton

International Captain
Pavel joined Brian Lara on The Front Bar (Aus sport comedy tv show) tonight.

He's come a long way

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ah right, yeah I sort of knew that "grade cricket" wasn't the right terminology and figured it was a lower level. The lollipop bowling and the bloke missing it reminded me a lot of the grade I play lol
Sometimes people who have never played cricket before get called up as emergency replacements in grades higher than the one he's playing. It's just straight up weekend club cricket.

It's serious cricket between established clubs (ie. not just a bunch of blokes meeting in a park with plastic stumps) but yeah it's a low standard. Every chance you've played higher.

thierry henry

International Coach
Sometimes people who have never played cricket before get called up as emergency replacements
Literally my team this season. Almost every week we've started fielding with 8 blokes, had guys rocking up to field in random clothes, and even had a guy who has never played cricket before turn up wearing his high-vis after work lol. And we're winning 40-over games like 340 vs 70 all out.

It's serious cricket between established clubs (ie. not just a bunch of blokes meeting in a park with plastic stumps) but yeah it's a low standard. Every chance you've played higher.
You can't really make the same delineation in NZ because there's really only one tier of club cricket. You have the 6 first class sides, then you have the various provinces (represented by Hawke Cup sides) and then the clubs within the provinces. In terms of the hierarchy of grades I'm actually only 5 grades away from the Black Caps but I'm playing with guys in high vis against 14 year olds who can't hit the pitch.

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
I've never played cricket before, maybe I should think about joining something at that level haha

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I've never played cricket before, maybe I should think about joining something at that level haha
If you want to play regularly you'll get sent somewhere even lower first up. It's just that when someone decides they're too hungover on Saturday morning, calling up mates you only play winter sports and might be able to field decently is usually considered more proper than raiding your lower grades at that sort of short notice, unless you're a whole other category of cricket above that one.

But it's fun, you should do it!