• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Paula Radcliffe

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
To be honest I think Halsey's got a point. I couldn't believe the media reaction to her - let's face it - failure in the marathon.

For some reason, she was lauded as a hero (or should that be heroine) when it now seems that she just had an off day, compounded by the conditions and - possibly - her less than meticulous preparation. Nothing heroic about that.

The impression I got from the interview with Cram, was that Paula just couldn't accept that she'd simply had a "bad day at the office" and seemed desperate to find some kind of concrete medical explanation for her poor performance. This is understandable given her recent dominance in women's distance running and particularly in the marathon - it must be very frustrating.

I'd be very disappointed if Paula, providing she's physically ok, opts out of the 10,000m. All this talk of not being emotionally/mentally fit to run - the consensus view of the Beeb's English analysts (but not, pertinently, Michael Johnson) - is b****cks.

Kelly Holmes is far more deserving of hero status (and to be fair the press coverage has reflected this) and I think she's got a great chance of clinching an amazing double in the 1,500m.

thewizard1o1

International Debutant
If Radcliff was in a team sport (Say the 4x52km run :D) and she had of pulled out under the same circumstances, would she have been treated the same way or like the Aussie Rower?

Piper

International Captain
I dont know if it is a good idea her running the 10,000m coz if she doesnt finish or finishes in a really bad place i think that might be the last time we see her run.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
thewizard1o1 said:
If Radcliff was in a team sport (Say the 4x52km run :D) and she had of pulled out under the same circumstances, would she have been treated the same way or like the Aussie Rower?
What happened to the Aussie rower?

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Piper said:
I dont know if it is a good idea her running the 10,000m coz if she doesnt finish or finishes in a really bad place i think that might be the last time we see her run.
Apparently she's confirmed she is running. Good on her.

thewizard1o1

International Debutant
She 'stopped' rowing about 500m from the end of the race...media (and others) blew up like a box of firecrackers...

Andre

International Regular
thewizard1o1 said:
She 'stopped' rowing about 500m from the end of the race...media (and others) blew up like a box of firecrackers...
The same thing happened at the world championships in 2002, with the same rower.

Poor selection or a coincidence? It's certainly not an unfair blow-up.

Piper

International Captain
garage flower said:
Apparently she's confirmed she is running. Good on her.
But the only worry ive got is if she doesnt win, i think it will totally break her

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Piper said:
If she dropped her bundle after two bad results that'd be pretty poor form. SHe's been dominant in the marathon for a while now and is a brilliant runner, to pack up the bag and go home and say that's it would come across as a bit of a hissy fit.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Andre said:
The same thing happened at the world championships in 2002, with the same rower.

Poor selection or a coincidence? It's certainly not an unfair blow-up.
Yeah, I don't blame them for being ****ed off. But you do wonder why they picked her again after it had happened before. Having to wait 4 years for another crack at it would be tough for the other members.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Piper said:
But the only worry ive got is if she doesnt win, i think it will totally break her
I agree with Son of Coco on this. She should be mentally strong enough to cope with defeat. Looking forward to the race though. There should be a real buzz about it now.

Piper

International Captain
She didnt finish the race, but she said it was her legs that gave way not her emotions, which to me is good even tho she didnt finish.