• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Past Tournaments

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Is there an easy way on cricinfo to find out the most overall runs and wickets in WC K/O games? So quartefinals and onwards. Or would that take manuel searching.

I assume Ponting, Guptill, Gilly, Sachin and Aravinda would make up the top 5 in runs, not sure about the order though. Someone else could sneak in there however I'm sure Kallis and Mahela played a fair share of K/O games too
Pretty easy:

Batting records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo.com
Bowling records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo.com

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member

Top 5 batsmen
Code:
Player                    Runs    Ave    S/R    100s    50s
R Dravid*(INDIA)          461    65.85    85.52    2    3
SR Waugh*(AUS)            398    79.6     77.73    1    2
SC Ganguly*(INDIA)        379    54.14    81.15    1    1
ME Waugh*(AUS)            375    41.66    76.21    1    2
Saeed Anwar*(PAK)         368    40.88    72.01    2    0
Dravid the highest run getter also had better SR than all others in top 5. Who would have thought. WAG!

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member

Top 5 batsmen
Code:
Player                  Runs    Ave    S/R    100s    50s
MD Crowe*(NZ)            456    114    90.83    1    4
Javed Miandad*(PAK)      437    62.42    62.6    0    5
PN Kirsten*(SA)          410    68.33    66.55    0    4
DC Boon*(AUS)            368    52.57    68.91    2    0
Rameez Raja*(PAK)        349    58.16    64.74    2    0
Stand out strike rate for Crowe in that tournament.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I guess the quality of bowling got better from 96 to 99.

Look at the SR of the top 5 batsmen from those 2 tournaments.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I suspect it’ll be more linked to the conditions. 1996 was in the sub continent whereas 1999 was in England.
Yeah the '99 WC was very bowler friendly. Which really made for some cracking cricket. I'd love for the 2019 WC to be similar, but that wouldn't play to the current English team's strength and everything suggests that English ODI wickets are now just as dire as subcontinental wickets.

TheJediBrah

Yeah the '99 WC was very bowler friendly. Which really made for some cracking cricket. I'd love for the 2019 WC to be similar, but that wouldn't play to the current English team's strength and everything suggests that English ODI wickets are now just as dire as subcontinental wickets.
Come on, with the Test wickets we have been throwing up over the last 5 years it's pretty rich to be calling other country's out for having "dire" flat wickets

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
In 2015 world cup in Australia, 2 double hundreds were scored and multiple 300+ scores were put up in finals.
In 2011 world cup in subcontinent, zero 300+ scores were put up in finals.

TheJediBrah

In 2015 world cup in Australia*, 2 double hundreds were scored and multiple 300+ scores were put up in finals.
In 2011 world cup in subcontinent, zero 300+ scores were put up in finals.
*and NZ

At least pretend that they matter

stephen

Come on, with the Test wickets we have been throwing up over the last 5 years it's pretty rich to be calling other country's out for having "dire" flat wickets
Yeah fair call.

Indian postage stamps have always seen high scores though.

stephen

Cricinfo have posted their AT World Cup XI:

ESPNcricinfo's all-time World Cup XI | ESPNcricinfo.com

Surprising omission of de Villiers, who averages 63@117 and surprise inclusion of Imran Khan and Sangakkara. Imran had some pretty good stats in World Cups and won the 92 world cup and Sangakkara had an incredible 2015 and is right near the top of the run scorers. Neither of these players are usually picked by CWers, despite having gun WC records.

SillyCowCorner1

Trundler not too long ago put Imran in the Mt. Rushmore of cricket...

Sangakarra is my favorite(second fav) lefty batsman of all time.

mr_mister

I'd honestly have Steve Waugh there.

Heavy, heavy hand in winning one World Cup with his bowling and one with his batting, 12 years apart. I just think that's really cool.

His overall record with bat and ball in world cups is so far ahead of his regular ODI record it's incredible. We got the test quality Waugh in World cups

smash84

The Tiger King

Surprising omission of de Villiers, who averages 63@117 and surprise inclusion of Imran Khan and Sangakkara. Imran had some pretty good stats in World Cups and won the 92 world cup and Sangakkara had an incredible 2015 and is right near the top of the run scorers. Neither of these players are usually picked by CWers, despite having gun WC records.
Interestingly Imran's been voted captain ahead of Ponting who's also in the team.

But Imran's world cup record is pretty good. The team is a batsman short too. No need for both warne and murali.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator

how much will Starc have to do to get in this for the next one? Not that much imo