• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pakistan ex Cricketers say the World Cup was 'designed' and 'tailored' by ICC

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
2007 the groups were rigged so Pak and India would meet in round 2. Just because neither were good enough to qualify doesn't change that fact.
yeah bro that's how the schedule worked for those world cups, you either face off in the groups or in the super stage. It wasn't just for India and Pakistan.

OverratedSanity

Not borne out by facts. At least for world cups. Only in 2003 and 2015 world cups were they part of the same group. In first 4 editions of the world cup, India v Pakistan never happened. Very likely the only contest between major teams that did not take place in first 4 editions.
Yup. Team records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo.com

Not counting SL as the major team in first 4 world cups, India v. Pakistan is the only game that did not take place in first 4 editions between 6 major teams.
You're doing the Amirfan thing of taking examples from decades ago. In this era, things have been obvious.

In the last several tournaments, India and Pakistan have been meeting consistently in the group stages. 2014 and 2016 world t20, 2013 and 2017 CT, 2015 and 2019 wc. That's six consecutive ICC tournaments. And in the middle of all this, the ICC president says they do it deliberately.

I mean, I'm not complaining, since this means India get a virtually guaranteed win, but it can't really get more blatant than this.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
yeah bro that's how the schedule worked for those world cups, you either face off in the groups or in the super stage. It wasn't just for India and Pakistan.
Yes and no. The organisers had scheduled it so that Pak and India would meet very early in the super 8 stage to spark more interest in the tournament. The super 8 stage was there so India would get at least 7 games for ratings purposes. It wasn't the organisers fault that India and Pakistan both pulled a South Africa and got eliminated comically.

artvandalay

State Vice-Captain
You're doing the Amirfan thing of taking examples from decades ago. In this era, things have been obvious.

In the last several tournaments, India and Pakistan have been meeting consistently in the group stages. 2014 and 2016 world t20, 2013 and 2017 CT, 2015 and 2019 wc. That's six consecutive ICC tournaments. And in the middle of all this, the ICC president says they do it deliberately.

I mean, I'm not complaining, since this means India get a virtually guaranteed win, but it can't really get more blatant than this.
Also id argue a group stage meeting is a lot less High octane than a knockout game between the 2. When you're in the same group the chance that you would meet again later when the stakes are higher is lesser because it would need both teams to make it through. Can't argue that the encounter is even more of a money spinner than usual since in this decade the two have only played one ODI series in 2012., Despite the fact that Pakistan are a meme relative to what they were in late 90s and early 00s.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member

I don't know about t20 world cups and Champions trophies. May be it's happening there. In world cups it hasn't.

Spark

Global Moderator
the deeper point is that even if they were putting their thumb on the scale and deliberately making sure that there was always an india/pakistan group game, it still wouldn't be an actual problem and completely justifiable on quite reasonable grounds wrt creating a spectacle that draws mass audiences to the game. marquee matchups are good for the sport - any sport - and your big prestige event should have as many as possible

flibbertyjibber

Akhtar is basically our Vaughn. Shut up ****.

It's somewhat of a cultural thing to pretend that the whole world is plotting against us.
Which is hilarious given the amount of times Pakistan has plotted against the world for a backhander.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
It's a bit fishy that Pakistan needed to win their last match by 316 runs yet made only 315 batting first. Probably received a bung from somewhere not to even attempt the improbable.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yes and no. The organisers had scheduled it so that Pak and India would meet very early in the super 8 stage to spark more interest in the tournament. The super 8 stage was there so India would get at least 7 games for ratings purposes. It wasn't the organisers fault that India and Pakistan both pulled a South Africa and got eliminated comically.
This doesn’t make sense.

How they scheduled the super 8 was that if Team X qualified, they would play on this date at this venue, regardless of where they finished in the group. A good thing for supporters, no doubt a fixed venue for India V Pakistan was on their minds. To say it was ‘fixed for them to meet very early’ is neither here nor there as yes the scheduling was deliberate.

I don’t really see any point to what you’re saying (I should probably get used to saying that to you with the Ashes looming)

wrongun

Banned
the deeper point is that even if they were putting their thumb on the scale and deliberately making sure that there was always an india/pakistan group game, it still wouldn't be an actual problem and completely justifiable on quite reasonable grounds wrt creating a spectacle that draws mass audiences to the game. marquee matchups are good for the sport - any sport - and your big prestige event should have as many as possible
Having worked in sales for the main broadcaster in India, I can assure you that Indo-Pak 10 sec ad rates are through the roof. I would not be surprised if they match the Super Bowl Ad rates. Why wouldn't the ICC want to cash in on this?

wrongun

Banned
Lmao

Fixing aside, the whole BCCI money thing is hilarious. If the BCCI takes more money, they're greedy. If they take less money, they're buying out the other boards.

So many Pakistanis are so salty that 1992 didn't repeat itself. Now is probably the ideal time for a Pak Passion invasion
I think this is an extension of the low key rivalry between the 2 boards. Didn't PCB lose a case against the BCCI regarding the cancelled UAE fixtures, and then the BCCI counter sued them for a few million? Also, lately there was the issue where the BCCI was asked by several politicians to not play the WC game due to the Pulwama attacks? I remember Rajnath Singh (The current Indian defence minister and former Home Minister) clearly stating that he did not approve of the two countries playing in the WC due to the commercial nature of it profiting the PCB. Then there were the camaflouge caps during the 3rd ODI vs Aus in Ranchi where PCB objected again. And more recently, there is the issue of the balidan badge on Dhoni's gloves that the PCB complained about along with the Saffron jersey issue. Also, to add to this mess, both sides have flown political statements during each others game to which the ICC has objected to.

To be honest, the BCCI could easily crush PCB if they desired to, but I think they recognize that this isn't good for the game. The BCCI has actually helped West Indian cricketers and many other struggling boards, for which they deserve due credit.

Note for Mods: The 'rivalry recap' stated above is not an endorsement or discussion of political events. Simply a recap of the reasons why bad blood may exist between the two boards.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Thanks for the disclaimer but don’t worry your post is fine. Far busier keeping an eye on Spark and his profanity at the minute.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
This doesn’t make sense.

How they scheduled the super 8 was that if Team X qualified, they would play on this date at this venue, regardless of where they finished in the group. A good thing for supporters, no doubt a fixed venue for India V Pakistan was on their minds. To say it was ‘fixed for them to meet very early’ is neither here nor there as yes the scheduling was deliberate.

I don’t really see any point to what you’re saying (I should probably get used to saying that to you with the Ashes looming)
The tragic thing about 2007 India Pak game scheduling was that the audience who booked early had to contend with Ireland vs. Bangladesh.