• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pakistan-England test rivalary

Xuhaib

International Coach
Really loved this series one of the best I have watched in the last few years this has to be one of the most exiting test rivalries over the years possibly on par with Aus-SA test rivalry.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
When I first watched cricket back in the 70s Pakistan were great because they played cricket that was tremendous to watch, but we always won - it's only since your lot forgot that basic rule and started winning most of the time that we've become rivals

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I wasn't always aware of this rivalry. I had no idea of the history. I remember the first series I watched was the home series in 2000 and there was all this talk about how England hadn't toured in 13 years since the Gatting-Rana incident. I had no idea of those events and that was the first time I had read about it.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
I started following this matchup in 2005, and it almost always ends up creating a lot of good drama alongside a lot of bad drama. Almost always so much fun to watch.

Howe_zat

Audio File
It used to be all fun drama with dancin' Afridi and whatnot. Shame it turned a bit sour over the next few tours.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
This must be the first drama free tour of England for a while, previously we've had the spot fixing scandal in 2010 and Inzi lobbing his toys out the pram in 2006.

For whatever reason (ok, it's fast bowlers), Pakistan are just much better suited to playing in England than their subcontinental cousins.

Shame they tour at the same time as India in 2 years and we're only giving them 2 Tests. Better than playing some other joke outfit but it feels a bit disrespectful.

Howe_zat

Audio File
This must be the first drama free tour of England for a while, previously we've had the spot fixing scandal in 2010 and Inzi lobbing his toys out the pram in 2006.
They tried to make something out of running on the pitch but it wasn't close to good enough an excuse for failing to beat Pakistan this time. Must try harder

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Thinking about it, 2005 is still my favorite series between these two teams. The first two Tests especially were so close right until the end.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Was there not one Test in that series where England were comfortably ahead (Trescothick might even have scored190odd) the we just collapsed on the final day?

That was also the series where Afridi decided to bust out a few moves on a good length wasn't it?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah we failed to chase something like 178

I got up with us five down needing maybe 20-30 (could be more) and it was over in minutes

smash84

The Tiger King
I quite enjoyed the last England pak series in the UAE as well. The final scoreline read 0-2 to Pakistan but we almost lost the first test and the other 2 England ran us pretty close.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Was there not one Test in that series where England were comfortably ahead (Trescothick might even have scored190odd) the we just collapsed on the final day?

That was also the series where Afridi decided to bust out a few moves on a good length wasn't it?
Yeah we failed to chase something like 178

I got up with us five down needing maybe 20-30 (could be more) and it was over in minutes
1st Test: Pakistan v England at Multan, Nov 12-16, 2005 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Needed 198 to win and fell 22 runs short. Highlights/lowlights of the series for me:

- Butt making us believe we finally had a good opener.
- Inzi scoring 2 100s in the 2nd Test to go ahead of Miandad, the second one probably cost us a win.
- Akhtar just being generally great and fit for a whole series. I don't know which was better, knocking out Giles' two stumps or the almost waist height full toss LBW on Geriant.
- Tresco getting dropped twice in his 190-odd score.
- Freddie dropping Yousuf at 12*, who then went on to make 223.
- Afridi being useful in a Test
- Afridi's audition for 'Dancing with the Stars' while everyone was distracted by an explosion
- Darrel Hair starting his rivalry with Pakistan
- Kaneria being extremely effective, maybe for the last time.
- Shabbir chucking
- Ian Bell claiming a catch that he had let go

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
1992 was a great series, despite the unpleasantness at Old Trafford and the off-the-pitch fracas over ball tampering.
Pakistan were outstanding - clearly more talented than England - but we ran them pretty close. Effectively the series was decided by a large 9th wicket partnership between the 2 Ws at Lord's when Pakistan faltered chasing a small total.

1982 was very good as well. Pakistan were probably hard done by wrt umpiring decisions, but two of the three tests were close affairs. Even allowing for the umpiring, England did pretty well to win against a very good Pakistan side given the absence of Gooch and the other guys who'd gone to SA.

But it's often been spikey even in the 1970s.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
- Inzi scoring 2 100s in the 2nd Test to go ahead of Miandad, the second one probably cost us a win.
That was Inzy's peak as a captain.

- Akhtar just being generally great and fit for a whole series. I don't know which was better, knocking out Giles' two stumps or the almost waist height full toss LBW on Geriant.
My favourite is this one

Akhtar was not bowling that well in that series (despite that ball to Ashley Giles in the 1st test) until 2nd innings of the 2nd test. England were going great with KP getting a hundred, then Akhtar bowled a short one, KP got a top edge and Akhtar celebrated with a chicken dance :laugh:
And then that ball to Flintoff in the space of few overs :wub: