• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Paine and Ashwin interactions

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Obviously this doesn't forgive outright abuse or **** sledging, but you need to be able handle a certain level.
Which was my point. The ability to define what is abuse and what is banter. While what Paine said was not that abusive, it is obvious it was plain abuse and not any kind of banter. Good on him to apologize for that and good on Ash for not letting it get to him and handling it on field and leaving it there, but it is important to recognize what is ok and what is not, and its always better to err on the side of caution when dealing with player wellness, especially in the current global situation.

cnerd123

likes this
I ****ing hate those interludes on the Fox broadcast. Just because you lot are too gormless to say anything insightful doesn't mean we want to hear an over of "bowling Gary" or "yes Ash"
much prefer on field audio than the commentary tbh

Howsie

International Captain
Basic sledging 101 there. The first guy to crack and get personal automatically loses, and all it took from Ashwin was one retort and Paine cracked and let fly ‘dickhead’ Amateur hour.

Why Paine is attempting to give anyone ****, let alone a guy like Ashwin I have no idea. We’re talking about the less qualified test captain in the world (he only got the job because of the state Australian cricket was in). He’s obviously an absolute rubbish keeper and the **** has never scored a test match 100 ffs. I couldn’t believe that when I read that this morning.

Ashwin should’ve absolutely schooled him, so much ammunition right there ha.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Basic sledging 101 there. The first guy to crack and get personal automatically loses, and all it took from Ashwin was one retort and Paine cracked and let fly ‘dickhead’ Amateur hour.

Why Paine is attempting to give anyone ****, let alone a guy like Ashwin I have no idea. We’re talking about the less qualified test captain in the world (he only got the job because of the state Australian cricket was in). He’s obviously an absolute rubbish keeper and the **** has never scored a test match 100 ffs. I couldn’t believe that when I read that this morning.

Ok

anil1405

International Captain
Eh this is a dangerous road to go down. I know this isn't necessarily what you're saying, but you can't treat certain players differently because they seem mentally fragile and you don't want to hurt their feelings. The mental aspect of cricket, Test cricket especially, is a dominant one, and if you're out there representing your country you have to be able to deal with what comes with it both mentally and physically. If a boxer goes into a fight with a dodgy shoulder or some other pre-existing injury you don't expect the opponent to go easy on him, if anything he'll target the weakness. Obviously this doesn't forgive outright abuse or **** sledging, but you need to be able handle a certain level.
This statement signifies a lack of understanding of mental health. I mean it's absolutely fine to target a batsman's foot if he is playing with a broken toe or dishing in bouncers if he doesn't know how to play the short ball or is playing with a broken arm or something.

But coments like you don't have enough friends might have a negative impact on the player if he takes it the wrong way coz he could potentially be dealing with a lot of **** in his mind especially during these pandemic times. All this **** about being tough is legit and fair but not to forget there are limits. I mean there are so many other things Paine could've sledged him about like how his batting has regressed or something on those lines.

TheJediBrah

Howsie actually bang on the money. Key to sledging* is your own status compared to the guy you're sledging. You don't have a crack at someone who is considerably better than you at cricket, unless you have something else to hold over him as a superior trait. For example if he's uglier and/or fatter than you, you are allowed to sledge him even if he's much better at cricket.

*sledging is a heinous act which I have never engaged in nor condone in any way and needs to be stamped out of the game

anil1405

International Captain
Ashwin and majority of other players would take it in the right spirit or would've ignored it but there would be some minority for whom this might not go down well. Never know.

TheJediBrah

This statement signifies a lack of understanding of mental health. I mean it's absolutely fine to target a batsman's foot if he is playing with a broken toe or dishing in bouncers if he doesn't know how to play the short ball or is playing with a broken arm or something.

But coments like you don't have enough friends might have a negative impact on the player if he takes it the wrong way coz he could potentially be dealing with a lot of **** in his mind especially during these pandemic times. All this **** about being tough is legit and fair but not to forget there are limits. I mean there are so many other things Paine could've sledged him about like how his batting has regressed or something on those lines.
Possibly a poor example on my part, I'm not suggesting it's fair to go after someone with known mental health issues with insults that target a specific issue that they suffer from. Just talking about on field chat in general.

Howsie

International Captain
Howsie actually bang on the money. Key to sledging* is your own status compared to the guy you're sledging. You don't have a crack at someone who is considerably better than you at cricket, unless you have something else to hold over him as a superior trait. For example if he's uglier and/or fatter than you, you are allowed to sledge him even if he's much better at cricket.

*sledging is a heinous act which I have never engaged in nor condone in any way and needs to be stamped out of the game
Eh that’s not what I was getting at but whatever...

Keep on fighting the good fight Australia. With a little bit of luck you might put this depleted Indian side away next week.

Teja.

Global Moderator
What seems most weird to me is Paine feeling the need to call a press conference and publicly apologize for such tame chat tbh. Should get sledged for that itbt.

anil1405

International Captain
What seems most weird to me is Paine feeling the need to call a press conference and publicly apologize for such tame chat tbh. Should get sledged for that itbt.
Next time an Aussie player wants to have a chit chat, we need to ask him what time is he calling for the presser in the evening so that he wants to watch it live.

vcs

I don't fully recollect but didn't Warner have some chat with Trott in Brisbane 2nd innings 2013 when he was about to leave the tour and go home?

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
On a broader level, one thing that's driven this is how much keeper 'banter' has been promoted as one of the highlights of the game by Fox Cricket especially.

That twit Mark Howard treats it like the high point of the session when they don't commentate and just listen to the stump mikes for an over and we get to listen to the always enthralling chatter around the stumps.

Mind you, the belief in Australian cricket that the keeper needs to be chatty has always been there. It was largely inferred that a prime reason Nevill was replaced by Wade was that he was too quiet on the field. But it's gone to another level in the Fox Cricket culture.
I remember when they did one last season while Watling was behind the stumps and it was just an over of total silence.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
sledging is for weaklings and losers anyway (and as a particularly weak loser I would know all about those)

so no surprise to see Australians involved

very sad indictment on your ability if you have to resort to it to get the job done

Daemon

How are you fellas able to get out of bed every day thinking like this?

I'll order a couple of these for you if you like, and a set of ear plugs to go with them

View attachment 26722
These would’ve been handy for our boys before and during the tour. The way things are going atm we might need to open the batting with Shastri.

Reactions: vcs