• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Operation FITBOBEU

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Going to hijack this thread.

I've got a Practical Assessment this Sunday, followed by a written exam next Tuesday. 50 MCQ questions, need to get 40 right to pass.

Please quiz me. I need to practice. All tips and suggestions welcome too.
The other day I saw an article on cricket.com.au that was about how a ball had struck middle pole but the bails were still intact somehow, with no middle stump to rest on. Now common sense says it's out, but why?

cnerd123

likes this
Are you allowed a trial run up?
What are the rules regarding practice/warm ups with the ball that will be used for play?
Yes provided the umpire is satisfied you won't damage the pitch and that you aren't wasting time.

The only practice allowed during the game (From the call of play to the call of Time) is with the match ball. No other ball may be used. This practice is restricted to:
During the game - players 'bowling' to each other in the outfield, using their arm action only, in a manner that doesn't change the condition of the ball, pitch or outfield,
During intervals - Only the players of the fielding side may indulge in any other sort of practice with the ball, provided that is on the field of play, is not batting or bowling (except arm action bowling as above), and is of such a nature that the umpires are satisfied it won't change the condition of the ball, pitch or outfield.

cnerd123

likes this
The other day I saw an article on cricket.com.au that was about how a ball had struck middle pole but the bails were still intact somehow, with no middle stump to rest on. Now common sense says it's out, but why?
A wicket being 'put down' is defined as:

- A bail being fully dislodged or
- A stump is struck out of the ground

So even if the bails were still intact and in place, the middle stump being knocked over satisfies the criteria for the wicket being put down, and thus the batsman is out bowled.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I expect nothing less from this thread than four solid years of training, dedication and hard work to reach the Elite panel, at which time you stand in a world cup final and fire every Indian batsman who is brushed on the pad, plays and misses, or looks at you funny. This could be a protest against India's DRS position or just for fun.

Victor Ian

International Coach
I lung out way out of the crease to smash the ball over the bowlers head only to watch my bails dislodged by the keeper. I laugh at him and point out that my especially long shoe lace is undone and still behind the crease. Out or not out?

cnerd123

likes this
I lung out way out of the crease to smash the ball over the bowlers head only to watch my bails dislodged by the keeper. I laugh at him and point out that my especially long shoe lace is undone and still behind the crease. Out or not out?
This is probably down to the Umpire's discretion; I don't recall anything in the Laws especially regarding this.

cpr

International Coach
I would say that the lace is not part of the 'foot' per se, and allowing it would encourage players to adapt footwear to include stilettos with inspector gadget style extending heels. The only sure way to stay behind the crease at all times is to grow extra long toe-nails.

Howe_zat

Audio File
The actual word used to describe what has to be behind the line is 'his person' which I expect a shoelace would not be part of. In the situation described I think an umpire could fairly rule that, or more likely, be inclined to rule that as the batman is clearly taking the piss.

Maybe there's something in there about inappropriate attire?

91Jmay

International Coach
Thinking about doing this now I've read this thread. Can't wait to trigger some teenagers on dubious LBWs.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
The teenagers are generally fine because half of them don't know the laws. The middle aged fast bowlers are significantly worse, because none of them know the laws but they think they do, and despite the ball pitching three feet outside leg stump and in their half of the pitch, they know it was LBW because they play cricket​.

91Jmay

International Coach
Any teenager scoring > 30 in a men's game is getting sawn off if I am the umpire. Spinners will get LBW for absolute fun and profit as well. Amatuer spinners almost never bounce over the stumps.

cnerd123

likes this
Got the main exam tomorrow. Plz get all your obscure, convoluted and inane queries in ASAP so I may attempt to brush up my knowledge of the laws by attempting to answer them all

Bonus points for questions about the following:

- Penalty runs
- Fair and Unfair play
- Runners
- Obstructing the Field
- Handling the Ball
- The limitations on Fielders and Wicketkeepers
- Intervals
- Pitch and Ground preparation and maintenance

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A wicket being 'put down' is defined as:

- A bail being fully dislodged or
- A stump is struck out of the ground

So even if the bails were still intact and in place, the middle stump being knocked over satisfies the criteria for the wicket being put down, and thus the batsman is out bowled.
But the middle stump was not out of the ground

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Got the main exam tomorrow. Plz get all your obscure, convoluted and inane queries in ASAP so I may attempt to brush up my knowledge of the laws by attempting to answer them all

Bonus points for questions about the following:

- Penalty runs
- Fair and Unfair play
- Runners
- Obstructing the Field
- Handling the Ball
- The limitations on Fielders and Wicketkeepers
- Intervals
- Pitch and Ground preparation and maintenance
This actually happened

In Oz, we (used to anyway) play 2-day grade matches on consecutive Saturdays

Our team batted first on an absolute belter leaving the opposition to chase the following week

In those days, it was usually left to a couple of volunteers to put the covers on as the ground staff finished up at about 3 pm

Couple of our guys arrived to find 2 pitches marked up side-by-side, "guessed wrong" and covered the wrong pitch

As luck would have it, it poured down with rain that night leaving the match pitch saturated down one side as the covers were not big enough to protect all areas

The day itself was perfectly fine with play possible

What should the umpires do?

Last edited:

Shady Slim

International Coach
there is a fielder on the rope running from fine leg to deep square to save a rolling boundary on a windy day

he puts in a big thunder dive to stop the ball and comes up short, but due to the wind his hat flies off

it lands in the path of the ball

the ball comes to rest in the hat short of the rope

what do you call

cnerd123

likes this
But the middle stump was not out of the ground
I don't understand your scenario? The middle stump was knocked over, yes?

This actually happened

In Oz, we (used to anyway) play 2-day grade matches on consecutive Saturdays

Our team batted first on an absolute belter leaving the opposition to chase the following week

In those days, it was usually left to a couple of volunteers to put the covers on as the ground staff finished up at about 3 pm

Couple of our guys arrived to find 2 pitches marked up side-by-side, "guessed wrong" and covered the wrong pitch

As luck would have it, it poured down with rain that night leaving the match pitch saturated down one side as the covers were not big enough to protect all areas

The day itself was perfectly fine with play possible

What should the umpires do?
This sounds like a local playing conditions issue; since the Laws aren't set out with 2 day games with a week interval in between in mind.

The umpires duties under Law 3 are simply to ensure conditions are fit for play. The use of covers is the duty of the grounds staff under Law 11. The actual playing surface itself is not to be covered overnight, except in the case of inclement weather.

The laws do allow for the playing surface to be changed during a game, provide the Umpires and Captains are all in agreement (Law 7.4), but thats only if they all agree it's 'dangerous or unreasonable for play to continue on it'

So my answer would be that if the original pitch was now significantly harder to bat on compared to the first innings, but the pitch that was 'accidentally' covered overnight is closer in nature to it, then provided all parties are in agreement, a case could be made for changing the pitch for the second innings. However, if the pitch is only slightly more damp than the previous innings, and the covered strip is too different in nature, then unfortunately the side batting second would just have to cop it and move on. A note could be raised with the local regulatory board and with the groundstaff, and action could be taken to prevent it from happening again, but yea tough luck.

there is a fielder on the rope running from fine leg to deep square to save a rolling boundary on a windy day

he puts in a big thunder dive to stop the ball and comes up short, but due to the wind his hat flies off

it lands in the path of the ball

the ball comes to rest in the hat short of the rope

what do you call
Let play continue. It was an unintentional event; you treat it the same as you would treat a ball hitting the non-striker's stumps or the umpire. Just bad luck.

cnerd123

likes this
I haven't even passed this written exam yet and cricket laws are complex and confusing. I barely passed the Level 1 one too. So lets not get ahead of ourselves here :P

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
I haven't even passed this written exam yet and cricket laws are complex and confusing. I barely passed the Level 1 one too. So lets not get ahead of ourselves here :P
I think, once you really get into it, you'll find that the two most important things are your demeanour with the players and how you respond to pressure. Knowing the rules is great, but you'll always have your rulebook if necessary. I've filled out plenty of reports on umpires as a captain, and also had discussions with umpire assessors. There's a really big push for umpires who get on well with the guys they're umpiring, while maintaining professional distance, and never seem flustered.

Chris Gaffaney has moved up the ranks pretty quickly here for those reasons. Obviously being an ex-FC player himself, he had a bit of a head start but everyone always comments on just how relaxed and confident he seems in a game situation.

I actually remember a situation where an umpire got things slightly wrong according to the rules, but checked during a break in play and came back to us afterwards to explain things and clear the air. There was hardly a bad word said about him, despite his error. On the other hand, I've seen/heard a number of umpires get absolutely slated by players (often when they've not done much of anything wrong at all) simply because they're a bit of a knob or seemed flustered.