• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

One Day World Record

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I can't see 500 being reached any time soon, TBH - if it wasn't now, it'll take a hell of a lot of lightnings to strike twice to get it any time soon.

Alistair Brown, for one. This might well be the last of the great Brown one-day innings, he's 37 now.

And there's not really a lot that can be done. I don't know what happened in this game, aside from the usual Brown innings coupled with an excellent one by Benning and a crazy one from Clarke. Was there one especially short boundary like in the 2002 Glamorgan game?

Obviously it goes without saying that it was a tip-top batting pitch, some awful bowling, and presumably a fast outfield. What about dropped catches? Was there an abundance? Heck, even 1 (if it was Brown on 3, for instance) would have completely changed the complexion of that game.

I'd love to see an in-depth report on that game, and until I do I'm not prepared to analyse it's wider ramifications.

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
I'd say that 20:20 has certainly influenced the One Day game, and I suppose it's advertising the game in a positive way - it's a good way of getting kids along to the ground for the first time etc. That said, I do feel sorry for bowlers.

One of my bugbears in the County Championship is that teams are penalised when they host a game on a ground which favours the bowlers and in which wickets fall quickly, and yet when games are pointlessly played on featherbeds like we've already seen at Taunton and Chelmsford this season, there is no punishment for the home side. This smacks of inequality to me - just because a lot of wickets fall and the game is over quickly, it doesn't make the match itself any poorer. Infact, such games are often far more interesting and close than games like Somerset v Middlesex a couple of weeks ago.

So yes, I do feel that something needs to be done to balance out batting with bowling in all forms of the game, and that includes the limited overs format. There is nothing wrong with the occasional high scoring game, even if it's one-sided, but it only displays certain facets of the game, such as power hitting. We also need games like Ireland v Pakistan in the WC - it was low scoring and batting was difficult, but it displayed a wholly different array of skills. Infact, in many ways, I'd rather watch an innings like Niall O'Brien's 60 odd on a tricky wicket than a bludgeoned century on a flat track.

That said, I don't want to detract from Surrey's performance today. 496 in 50 overs is pretty awesome, I'd have loved to have been there to see it unfold.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd say that 20:20 has certainly influenced the One Day game
Undoubtedly it has, but it's also easy to forget that we were seeing crazy scoring like this before the format had taken hold - the previous game like this was in 2002, before Twenty20 had even been played, never mind had a chance to influence.

I don't think it's made quite such a difference as some seem to.

xanderbiscuits

U19 12th Man
But don't you think that he was able to play more freely today because of Brown at the other end scoring so rapidly. If he was brought into the England squad and wickets were falling around him then it might be a different story. But then again he can't do much worse than the current OD openers. Plus as it has already been said we do not know the full detailed story of the match yet. Just a few facts and figures.

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Regardless of whether Brown's free scoring was allowing Benning to settle or not, the fact is that England need someone at the top of the order in limited overs matches who is unafraid to attack the bowling in the powerplay overs. Given his age and proven clean hitting ability, I'd say that Benning is the obvious candidate right now.

Besides, didn't he make that 189 last season in a losing situation whilst the rest of the team crumbled around him?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Shows some of Bennings talent. He should be in the england side sometime in the near future.
James was dropped by Surrey for their four day game against Hampshire so regardless of his ability to hit medium pace Zimbabweans around on concrete his still got some way to go.

Benning’s a shoe in for the 20/20 World Cup but if England’s philosophy of using the one day arena as a breeding ground for test cricket, James has little chance of cementing a place. Coupled with the snobbery apparent in the English media regarding cricketers of Benning and Brown’s type there is a far chance he will be lambasted (like Brown) after one failed heave.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I can't see 500 being reached any time soon, TBH - if it wasn't now, it'll take a hell of a lot of lightnings to strike twice to get it any time soon.

Alistair Brown, for one. This might well be the last of the great Brown one-day innings, he's 37 now.

And there's not really a lot that can be done. I don't know what happened in this game, aside from the usual Brown innings coupled with an excellent one by Benning and a crazy one from Clarke. Was there one especially short boundary like in the 2002 Glamorgan game?

Obviously it goes without saying that it was a tip-top batting pitch, some awful bowling, and presumably a fast outfield. What about dropped catches? Was there an abundance? Heck, even 1 (if it was Brown on 3, for instance) would have completely changed the complexion of that game.

I'd love to see an in-depth report on that game, and until I do I'm not prepared to analyse it's wider ramifications.
The boundaries were not overly short and perversely if you can describe a 50 ball ton it was an almost faultless assault by Ali Brown. Bowling was as one expects terrible but the wicket was ridiculously flat (Surrey nearly chased 500 against Warne the day before). However, it was a tremendous feat and I would not be surprised if Surrey dicked a few a more teams heavily this season (if they bat first).

Say what you about Surrey (and The Oval) but for twenty odd quid you get your moneys worth.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well... if of course that's what you enjoy.

As I say - Alistair Brown can do that, but he never normally does it more than once every 4 seasons or so. I certainly can't see another knock like that in his Surrey career.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hey, you've got James Ormond and Ian Salisbury...

Yeah, must seem like Famine After The Feast if you remember the days of Bicknell, Tudor, Saqlain et al.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
But don't you think that he was able to play more freely today because of Brown at the other end scoring so rapidly.
From following the scoreboard, I don't think he was scoring quickly at all when Brown was in, at one point I think they'd both faced a similar number of balls, and Brown was past his ton whilst Benning was under 40...

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
From following the scoreboard, I don't think he was scoring quickly at all when Brown was in, at one point I think they'd both faced a similar number of balls, and Brown was past his ton whilst Benning was under 40...
I believe James was behind the ball rate whilst Brown was closing in on his ton. Benning's assault did not begin until Brown was tiring and then subsequently got out.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Shows some of Bennings talent. He should be in the england side sometime in the near future.
Benning actually had the worst strike rate in the innings! :laugh:

Great work though by him and Brown and also Clarke, 496 awesome stuff.