• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Olympic cycling thread

Craig

World Traveller
Some armchair expert just rung up Newstalk ZB and reckons Roulston was only on a 102-inch (? - whatever that means) gear and will step it up even further today, and claims he's a very good chance of gold. I'll take that with a grain of salt though..
Well I'm no use there. Without looking at the gear ratio on his bike I can't give much more information. That and I'm not fluent in the imperial measurement system.

Last edited:

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So Roulston v Wiggins in the gold medal race. Sounds like Roulston might be a bit outclassed, but good to see him get this far.

Craig

World Traveller
Dutchman Theo Bos's bike is apparently worth $1m (AUD). The **** better get a gold then.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Llaneras (also known, for bizarre reasons, as Linares to British commentators) wins gold in the points race.

That BBC commentator may just be the worst I've ever heard.

Craig

World Traveller
Llaneras (also known, for bizarre reasons, as Linares to British commentators) wins gold in the points race.

That BBC commentator may just be the worst I've ever heard.
Not bad for a 39 year old. Great year for Spain sporting wise.

I'm happy for Llaneras who struggled after the tragic death of his best mate Isaac Galvez in 2006 in a track meet in Belgium.

_Ed_

Wiggins takes gold, congratulations.

Thrilled with Roulston's effort for silver. Not humiliated at all in that race either.

Craig

World Traveller
Wiggins takes gold, congratulations.

Thrilled with Roulston's effort for silver. Not humiliated at all in that race either.
Considering two years ago he was forced to give up cycling, it has been a great comeback and against such a strong favourite, it was a great result.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
We rule. Apparently.

Seriously tho, how did we suddenly get so good at cycling? It's not just based around a couple of blokes either, because our youths have held their ends up too. Obviously the lottery funding will have helped, but presumably our athletes get it as well & they're decidely ordinary by comparison.

Chubb

International Regular
We rule. Apparently.

Seriously tho, how did we suddenly get so good at cycling? It's not just based around a couple of blokes either, because our youths have held their ends up too. Obviously the lottery funding will have helped, but presumably our athletes get it as well & they're decidely ordinary by comparison.
There's a real "Golden Generation" feel around British cycling. It is down to a combination of superb athletes, excellent resources (building the Manchester velodrome was key) and brilliant coaches. And success breeds success. I've never seen such a confident team as this lot.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
How much did Pendleton own that poor Japanese woman she came up against in the heat? Took like 2 seconds off her in the space of half a track circuit.

_Ed_

Brilliant work by NZ tonight I thought with 3:57...but then the Brits knocked us out of the gold medal race with a world record!

We're still going for bronze though. :)

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Loving the cycling.

Definately need another few cycling events in London
I like to see one where they're on a larger version of the kids trike and at the 500m mark two teammates have to shovel a heap of sand into the bucket part at the back. Once they complete the race, the sand is dumped in a designated area and the winner of the race is the team that builds the best sandcastle.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not bad for a 39 year old. Great year for Spain sporting wise.

I'm happy for Llaneras who struggled after the tragic death of his best mate Isaac Galvez in 2006 in a track meet in Belgium.
He wasn't hit by someone in a South African cricket top driving a car with Somerset numberplates was he?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I like to see one where they're on a larger version of the kids trike and at the 500m mark two teammates have to shovel a heap of sand into the bucket part at the back. Once they complete the race, the sand is dumped in a designated area and the winner of the race is the team that builds the best sandcastle.
They have that already, we won the gold in it

Burgey

Fair play to the Poms for their cycling effort here - real quality stuff.

Did anyone else see the pursuit (I think it was the final) with the two English girls? One of them sat up at the start, and you could ardly see her torso from side on, she was so thin, but she had legs on her like The Governator in Conan the Barbarian.