• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ol' Shep about to retire

BoyBrumby

Englishman
One of the game's genuine characters, without a hint of Bowden-esque contrivance. He'll be missed. Hopefully we'll hear from him in the commentary box.

He talks a lot of sense in the interview too:

"People say to me, 'is there too much technology, Shep? They'll be doing with your job', and I say to them that, 'to be quite honest, the game wasn't invented for umpires'. The game was invented for the players. And anything that can help the players and help the game itself must be good for the game. So umpires must adopt that procedure."

Amen. :)

Dydl

International Debutant
Hehehehe. *Points finger at batsmen in regard to an LBW appeal from Vettori*

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
BlackCap_Fan said:
Always solid.
No doubt about that one !! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sanz said:
About Time.
A bit overdue IMO. Because then he would have retired untainted !! Now he retires when people have been upset lately by his drop in standards !! So he will possibly be remembered for the wrong reasons .

I personally hold him forever embedded in my memory of SriLanka's Glorious World Cup Win of 1996 - When Shep and Bucknor were the Umpires and did an exceptionally unbiased performance - A testimony to that being that 66-1 outsider came home to win the greatest prize in International Cricket - The World Cup !!

But lately both these guys have been accused of, along with young Billy as well (including by his own countrymen in NZ) , of being prevaricated and premeditated in giving close decisions in favour of the Cricketing colossus (Australia) without having an open mind and judging each decision according to its merits or otherwise !!

So I say to Shep, Happy Retirement Shep. But When the final score is written your last few years of failings will come to taint your record badly unfortunately.

And as far as being missed, Dickie Bird was apparently missed for a few years, but nobody misses him today. Shep would be forgotten quite quickly

I personally would like him to retire in my country (SriLanka) where he's been a few times and holds some affection to, so that he may train some Umps there.

Last edited:

Unattainableguy

State 12th Man
He has been really biased in some of his matches in the past, or maybe at times, he was just incorrect with his decisions. Either one, but nevertheless, not a bad umpire.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Unattainableguy said:
He has been really biased in some of his matches in the past, or maybe at times, he was just incorrect with his decisions. Either one, but nevertheless, not a bad umpire.
Nah, he was wrong on occasions, but I don't think he was ever biased. I remeber in 2001 when Pakistan were over here. When Pakistan took about 9 wickets in the last two sessions to win Shep musta missed about a dozen no-balls (mainly from Wasim & Saqlain) of which about 3 took wickets.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Was he really that funny? i mean, i have giggle when i see him do that hopping thing he does, but ive never heard him being interviewed? I always hear him being described as a character..... am i missing something?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Unattainableguy said:
No-one is immune from making mistakes - after all, to err is human.

I'm not sure where 'bias' comes in - I guess one or two of those errors must have involved your favourite player, in which case, who am I to argue?

I will so miss looking forward to 'Nelson', praying for half a dozen maiden overs so we can continue the nonsense for just a few more hops... perhaps that particular baton can be handed on to Billy or, even funnier, Simon Taufel.

I shall dedicate my 9999th post on CW to Shep. At my current rate of posting, Marc might get to 99999 first.

biased indian

International Coach
no he was not :p, and that to when he had helped pakistan win a game by missing a lot of no balls would have to be his worst game in office.

but off late mistakes have been creeping into his decisions and age is also not on his side
but i think every one will remember him when the score is at nelson(111,222,333)

Unattainableguy

State 12th Man
luckyeddie said:
I'm not sure where 'bias' comes in - I guess one or two of those errors must have involved your favourite player, in which case, who am I to argue?
Not just one or two, but most of his errors did involve my favourite players. That's where bias comes in.
But again, I did say it just might be that he was incorrect at times without being biased.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
BoyBrumby said:
Nah, he was wrong on occasions, but I don't think he was ever biased. I remeber in 2001 when Pakistan were over here. When Pakistan took about 9 wickets in the last two sessions to win Shep musta missed about a dozen no-balls (mainly from Wasim & Saqlain) of which about 3 took wickets.
Eddie Nicholls missed at least as many in that Old Trafford game.