• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

OK to taunt Murali says MacGill

Chubby Rain

School Boy/Girl Captain
A man with such a low estimation of a sportsmans worth should probably have realised he achieved diddly squat by not going to Zimbabwe. The guy's got a huge ego, all right.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Misleading title, in my opinion. I'd be interested to read the whole interview where he stated that. It really does look as though he's had one point of what he's talking about taken out of a whole interview.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Misleading title, in my opinion. I'd be interested to read the whole interview where he stated that. It really does look as though he's had one point of what he's talking about taken out of a whole interview.
Wouldn't be the first time.

I'll wait for the claim that "I wasn't saying what AFP made it look like I was" and if it doesn't come, then I'll decry him.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
In MacGill's defence (not a way I ever thought I'd begin a sentence, but there you go) he didn't say it's ok per se, what he actually said was:

"One thing that sportsmen need to get over is that the spectators owe them anything. I think sometimes we can be a little bit fragile. It is not personal. We are never going to see him again - it doesn't really matter."

Whilst I'd disagree with him that it isn't personal (I reckon there's little doubt in Murali's case that it is), I do agree Murali has been (at best) "a little bit fragile".

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I just don't see that it's fair to expect everyone to react in a macho, "who-gives-a-flying-about-them" way TBH. Hence, people who call Murali "soft", "fragile", etc. always annoy me rather.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I just don't see that it's fair to expect everyone to react in a macho, "who-gives-a-flying-about-them" way TBH. Hence, people who call Murali "soft", "fragile", etc. always annoy me rather.
It doesn't have to be macho; turning the other cheek is meek (in the good sense) & dignified and would've shown far more bravery than a two-fingered salute.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not everyone is of the mind to do that either, and I feel they've equally a right not to be as they have to take said aforementioned attitude.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Not everyone is of the mind to do that either, and I feel they've equally a right not to be as they have to take said aforementioned attitude.
Murali obviously had a right to behave as he did, I don't think anyone is suggesting otherwise. It doesn't follow that it's praiseworthy tho.

& I've reported your post to the plain English police. A squad car has been dispatched.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Murali obviously had a right to behave as he did, I don't think anyone is suggesting otherwise. It doesn't follow that it's praiseworthy tho.
I never said it was praiseworthy, just that no-one IMO has a right to criticise him for it. He is who he is - there is no reason at all why it would have been praiseworthy to either turn the other cheek or take the "they can go to hell" approach. Acting as he did was perfectly acceptible to me.
& I've reported your post to the plain English police. A squad car has been dispatched.
Dread to think of your actions to this then... :(

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
it was a natural and a perfectly justified reaction...why in the world should he turn the other cheek?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
it was a natural and a perfectly justified reaction...why in the world should he turn the other cheek?
It's fairly obvious I thought: to not give his taunters the satisfaction. As it is he's shown he can be got at. Will that make them more or less likely to have another go?