• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Oh Deary Me!

open365

International Vice-Captain
^no.it undermine the umpires authority.

i don't really see the technology watsing time as a credible argument,it worked fine in the super series.

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
Why not just take the no balls off the on-field umpires. Allowing them to have a steady head when viewing the LBW or deviation off the bat might be enough to reduce the number of poor decisions made. At the moment, especially with fast bowlers the eyes are in motion when they have to decide. The off-field umpire can let the umpire know if there is a no ball or not.

The umpires generally get it right but get caned when they don't. They certainly make less mistakes than the players do on the field. The only difference is that players can get dropped for these mistakes. That said, I'm sure that there is an umpiring coordinator that liaises with the umpires to let them know how they're going.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Armadillo said:
I remember in Faisalabad when Bell claimed the catch off Youhana, Woolmer was telling Youhana to go back because he had obviously seen that Bell had dropped the catch, is this right? If he had gone back would they then have had another look?
If the rules were modified to allow the batsman (or fielding side) to appeal to the third umpire, then why not.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The Argonaut said:
Why not just take the no balls off the on-field umpires. Allowing them to have a steady head when viewing the LBW or deviation off the bat might be enough to reduce the number of poor decisions made. At the moment, especially with fast bowlers the eyes are in motion when they have to decide. The off-field umpire can let the umpire know if there is a no ball or not.
That would be one of the best solutions, in my opinion, the only conceivable problem being that batsmen would no longer have the chance to respond to the no ball call and play a different shot.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
But that would be countered by being much more likely to get good calls rather than rough ones.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Anyone else find it funny that the Australian team voted Rudi as the best international umpire?

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Jono said:
Anyone else find it funny that the Australian team voted Rudi as the best international umpire?
Where was this reported?
I thought they would've voted for Billy :D .

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
There is something even funnier in Cricinfo about Ricky Ponting. They have his quote just after the Super Series when he felt that the addition of technology to the umpiring was great for the game and now, he has said that he doesn't want technology to be introduced as it is not fully good as yet. Hilarious... Seems Punter is really intent on proving that he is a hypocrite... NOt that I ever doubted it since the Ashes... :D

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
honestbharani said:
Seems Punter is really intent on proving that he is a hypocrite...
You mean the use of a non-State regular as 12th man against the Windies wasn't enough?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Dasa said:
Where was this reported?
I thought they would've voted for Billy :D .
Billy was voted the worst.

Remember the article where the Australian team voted on various things. Such as Lara being voted the most dangerous batsman ahead of Tendulkar and Dravid, Ponting voted the best Aussie batsman, Warne best Aussie bowler etc.

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/222885.html

Rudi Koertzen, the South African umpire, was voted the best umpire by the national team and Australia's Simon Taufel was ranked second. Billy Bowden, the New Zealand umpire, was rated the worst.