• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Oh Deary Me!

PY

International Coach
And how can the 3rd umpire help?

HawkEye isn't definite enough and you can't base the decision on a third umpire watching replays on a 2D screen!

open365

International Vice-Captain
PY said:

HawkEye isn't definite enough and you can't base the decision on a third umpire watching replays on a 2D screen!
normal replays quite clearly show that Jones should have been out first ball and that he inside edged the LBW he got out on.

PY

International Coach
So you're advocating using the 3rd umpire whenever there's an appeal to do with LBWs?

Umpires' thoughts : "Yes, that was going on to hit the stumps. Wait......best check there wasn't an edge there as the bat was within a foot of the ball."

It'd get ridiculous with referrals, imagine them doing that when Gilo or Warney are bowling? You'd get an over every 10 minutes! :wacko:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
PY said:

Isn't definite enough?!?

You can rule out anything that isn't hitting the stumps or pitches outside leg within a second with Hawkeye - quicker than most umpires at present. If it's hitting the stumps you can see where it's hitting according to Hawkeye, the umpires can then look at a slow motion replay to assure themselves that the evil Hawkeye isn't making it up as it goes along and check for obvious inside edges.

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
Well not really seeing as the lbw's worked pretty well in the world series, probably the only good thing that came out of that series.

seamer

Banned
Just awful really. But pretty much every series is marred by it. It plays a massive role in every test match yet Nothing's ever done though.

It beggars belief how you can turn down stonewaller's like Collingwoods edge and his LBW, Bells LBW and Jones first baller today yet you can then give the later Jones one.

Just mindboggling inept officiating. I cannot begin to imagine what the umpires are thinking. Terrible that it's allowed to go on.

seamer

Banned
steds said:
I'm not too sure about the accuracy of Hawkeye.
May not be perfect but having it available to refer to as a guide would still result in the opportunity for a greater percentage of accurante and correct decisions.

Absolutely guaranteed it would improve things hugely.

seamer

Banned
steds said:
No it isn't. It's just only the bad decisions which people remember.
Yes it is.

And people remember good one's too actually.

The point is that it doesn't need to be this way. What's the point of settling for a mixed bag lottery?

There is no good reason we should have to settle for a few good decisions and a few shockers.

open365

steds said:
I'm not too sure about the accuracy of Hawkeye.
y?

its sceintificaly proven to be amaingly accurate.I wouldn't want it to be used for LBWs either but i don't dought its accuracy.

open365

^i have a feeling your going to get banned soon(if i'm wrong then ignore this post)

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
What fascinates me about cricket is how things seem to even themselves out. I think it is ggod for cricket to mantain the luck involved which would be eradicated by Computerised umpiring. I can only imagine that games would be finished in about 3 days, as all the close escapes before a great knock, would all be done away with. I the end, it is humans playing, and it is only fair that humans umpire it as well. They are are the best around as it is a hard job as they are the only ones involved in the actual match, that have to concentrate for the whole 5 days. [Every ball, scary porspect]

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scaly piscine said:
Whether the ICC and umpires like it or not, this is the future for cricket.
There's a dfference between using Hawkeye to confirm where a ball landed and using it to predict where a ball might have landed.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scaly piscine said:
Isn't definite enough?!?

You can rule out anything that isn't hitting the stumps or pitches outside leg within a second with Hawkeye - quicker than most umpires at present. If it's hitting the stumps you can see where it's hitting according to Hawkeye, the umpires can then look at a slow motion replay to assure themselves that the evil Hawkeye isn't making it up as it goes along and check for obvious inside edges.
Methinks you're confusing the one not-proven system (Hawkeye) with the other non-proven system (Snicko) here

The fact is that neither are confirmed accurate enough,