• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official**Zimbabwe in Bangladesh Thread

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
The first test is set to start on January 7 and after their awesome performance to beat India, Bangladesh must be favourites. Their struggling batsman in Rajin Saleh and Aftab Ahmed have found form in the one-day series and now they have a nicely balanced side (minus an opener). Bangladesh have the two best bowlers in the series Mashrafe and Rafique. However Zimbabwe haven't been doing too badly themselves. Chigumbura, Taylor, Panyangara and Utseya have been performing well recently and they are possibly a better batting side than Bangladesh. Should be a very intriguing series and could well determine test status

Zimbabwe Squad: Dion Ebrahim, Hamilton Masakadza, Brendan Taylor, Barney Rogers, Stuart Matsikenyeri, Mark Vermeulen, Tatenda Taibu (capt/wk), Elton Chigumbura, Tinashe Panyangara, Edward Rainsford, Douglas Hondo, Christopher Mpofu, Mluleki Nkala, Graeme Cremer, Prosper Utseya, Terrence Duffin

Dydl

International Debutant
No, but it could possibly be the first entertaining series that they have participated in. That would depend on Zimbabwe's performance though. How obvious was that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ah, if only both Test-status were revoked and farcical series such as this didn't happen. :@

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Shut up Richard, this competitiveness and quality of players in this series is much greater than England v Australia in 1877 and if that never happened then we wouldn't be here today

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Virtually ever test team has been in their position and if you compare the two tests Bangladesh have played at Multan you'd realise they should have test status

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
James90 said:
Shut up Richard, this competitiveness and quality of players in this series is much greater than England v Australia in 1877 and if that never happened then we wouldn't be here today
No evidence to suggest either.
If it didn't start there it'd have started somewhere; and we really don't have a clue how good the players of those series 135 years ago were relative to today.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
James90 said:
Virtually ever test team has been in their position and if you compare the two tests Bangladesh have played at Multan you'd realise they should have test status
And if you compare every other game you'd realise they shouldn't.
The competetive games are the anomalies, so they are the ones that should be discounted.
Yes, New Zealand (and to a lesser extent West Indies and South Africa) might have been in a similar position but Test-cricket is massively different nowadays.
It does no-one any good for Bangladesh to be constantly thrashed and distort figures.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Richard said:
Ah, if only both Test-status were revoked and farcical series such as this didn't happen. :@
Amen to that.. Hopefully Zimbo will smash Bangladesh, but I can't see it happening tbh..

I think Zimbabwe willbeat Bangladesh quite easily, but I really don't care. Right now, there's just no reason for these teams to be playing "Test Matches".

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Be good if they played regular First-Class cricket against each other, though.
It will, nonetheless, be interesting to see who's currently the better side.

Craig

World Traveller
Well this is as good as any for Bangladesh to win their first ever Test match.

I still maintain my belief that Mark Vermuelan is a good player just waiting to burst out but never happens. I can see the guy making a big score but throws it all away.

Hey I always found that Boeta Dippenaar is a good player and he eventually broke through with a 100 against England in PE but then got dropped Alma (it doesn't appear Alma is going to be doing much with the bat or is up to it in international cricket, but that is another thread).

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
To be fair Craig, Dippenaar missed out through injury, it was van Jaarsveld who was dropped for Amla (owing to the large Asian population in Durban)

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Richard said:
No evidence to suggest either.
If it didn't start there it'd have started somewhere; and we really don't have a clue how good the players of those series 135 years ago were relative to today.
Except the fact that it was only 9 years earlier that the Australians were taught overarm bowling